Got eggs...when to try 'em in the bator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by needmorechickens!, Aug 17, 2008.

1. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    One of my pullets has just started laying about a week ago. She has layed three eggs now, of course they are still on the small side. I noticed that my rooster was mating with her today. (He has also just started doing his thing.)

My question is...
    1.) could I try putting one of her eggs in the bator now, or are these small ones not good to try? Is it possible they could be fertile already?

2.) if you are getting a few eggs a week on different days then how do you get them all to hatch at the same time?

Thanks,
    ~Rebecca

2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    needmorechickens! :

One of my pullets has just started laying about a week ago. She has layed three eggs now, of course they are still on the small side. I noticed that my rooster was mating with her today. (He has also just started doing his thing.)

My question is...
    1.) could I try putting one of her eggs in the bator now, or are these small ones not good to try? Is it possible they could be fertile already?

2.) if you are getting a few eggs a week on different days then how do you get them all to hatch at the same time?

Thanks,
    ~Rebecca

I would wait for her eggs to get a little bigger before incubating them. Incubating small eggs a pullet just started laying makes for weak chicks, they may not even hatch. Has he been mating with her before she started laying? If he has just started mating with her then no these eggs probably will not be fertile. Crack open the first eggs she layed and look for a bulls eye. If you want the eggs to all hatch at the same time, collect the eggs until you have as many as you want and then put them in the 'bator. Good luck!​

3. needmorechickens!

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Thanks for the help! When I start collecting the eggs that I want to put in the 'bator, do I put them in the fridge or just in the house in a basket?
    Also, my girl is a white rock and the rooster is a BLRW...what kind of chicken will I get from that?

~Rebecca

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Do not put them in the fridge, store them in a cool dry place and turn then 2x a day.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Wait until the eggs are closer to their proper size. I bought some eggs online and the person shipped me nearly all pullet eggs. They were about half the size of the eggs I later got from the same breed of chicken and most were a bit narrower instead of round. All the chicks had trouble hatching and could not move around to position right. The only 2 I ended up with I helped out of the eggs. I have 2 chicks out of 24 eggs. It's not worth it to incubate those eggs.

6. needmorechickens!

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Good advice, thanks all.
    ~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by