1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got fake silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bananaman, May 28, 2016.

1. bananaman

bananaman New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    Central Texas
    My wife bought me 6 chicks for my birthday from Tractor Supply and was told they were silkies. As the chicks got older they started growing feathers on their feet, but didn't have that fluffy look. I did some research and found silkies have 5 toes and black feet and beaks. These don't.
    Now that they are almost full grown they look like mini chickens with feathery feet.
    What did end up with? I don't have a picture to post yet, but was hoping someone would know.
    I'm a little disappointed in Tractor Supply for selling these chicks as silkies.

2. NewChickLove

NewChickLove Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    There are several bantam breeds with feathered feet, silkies being just one.

3. bananaman

bananaman New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    Central Texas
    I'll have to post some pictures when I get home.

4. bananaman

bananaman New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    Central Texas
    How about these? Anybody know what breed these guys are?

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. ChickadeeNMe

ChickadeeNMe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Wow! The white one with black look very much like my easter egger, but mine doesn't have feathered feet! Whatever they are, they're gorgeous!
    This is my easter egger, Sansa. See the resemblance?
    [​IMG]

6. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    Those are brahmas! The white and silver ones are dark brahmas and the tan one is a buff brahmas. Lovely birds!

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  7. Hrairoo

Hrairoo Chillin' With My Peeps

That's crappy! I got some silkies from a hatchery a few weeks ago, but they omitted the fact that they were crosses. I was so disappointed when smooth feathers started growing in on 2 of them

8. bananaman

bananaman New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    Central Texas
    Ok. Awesome! It seems a lot of people like this breed.
    They are a little feisty. When I put them in with my buff Orpingtons of the same age they really picked on the Orpingtons for the first day.
    All is calm now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by