Got Feed????

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Buttercup Chillin, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Heads up. Here we go again.

Now, I special order my Purina Startena, so its fresh, so its there when I am ready to p/u. But my 3 bags didn't come in on a reg order. So now they are double special Ordered. Lets see if they make it Friday.

Yes, I have 1 bag of another on hand to feed my 2 weekers. But it is really hard for me to get them started on through their life span. Actually its impossible.

I think this is because of the storms though. Distributor doesn't have it to send, just now.

So check your supply of feed. [​IMG]

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I think I am good, I have a whole pallet waiting for me at the store.

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I hear about having trouble finding the Non-Medicated Purina Startena. I guess thats one of the good things about living in a "rural" town. Its carried by the local lumber yard. They did'nt even have to look or order it, just asked how many bags I wanted. But on the down side, if you want a blank CD, or a USB cable, its a 30 mile drive.... I guess I like it that way thou. Bill

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    GOT ABOUT 1400LBS IN THE FEED SHED.... THAT'LL LAST FOR A WEEK OR SO..[​IMG]

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Damn JJ, how many birds you support'in?

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    A Bejesus Load!

I Routinely Feed About 300-500 Lbs A Week On Average, Tho Now's When I Start To Hit Heavy Months As I Start With Coturnix Now And Slowly Progress Thru Sseasonal Breeder Type Gamebirds From Here Until About Early September, Then I Cocentrate On Chickens Until After X-mas And Back Into Game Birds Again . Many Of The Speces I Posess Or Desire Are Truely Seasonal Breeders So I Have To Focus On Them When Season Is At Hand...

I Buy Gbs In Bulk Strait From The Mill... Usually Get About 1600 Lbs A Month (28 Day Cycle). Add Chicken Feed To That At About 250 Lbs A Week...that Keeps The Chooks From Gnawing On Your Ankles As You Walk By [​IMG] And I Have A Few Specialty Birds That Get Various Mixes

7. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Now I wasn't talking to you birdaholics with silos and barns, for crying out loud. Or that are lucky enough to have a feed mill anywhere close and has the room. I am sure you order your feeds well ahead of time. You have room to store all that feed. I was warning us little guys that just feed a few birds and store a couple of bags in tin cans to get through next week.

I feel for you northerners.
    2 nights of freezing weather here and my birds are eating double their normal amount.
    Even the what 10-11 weekers almost finished that 3" tube of feed they get twice a day already. That's a first for them.

Which is cheaper, feeding them in the winter or keeping them warmer so they don't eat as much? Guess it would depend on what you could get their feed for vs the cost of electricity.
    Could just cull and start over in the Spring. Or trade eggs like in the CO-OP - send eggs south in the late fall and get some eggs back in the Spring for a hatch. That would be a good time to add new blood then, too.

Just a few thoughts. There are as many ways to manage birds as there are people raising them.

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I am sure you order your feeds well ahead of time.

A DAY IN ADVANCE... [​IMG]

9. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Hope its there when you need it. Mine wasn't. Quess it was on one of those trucks I saw smashing into each other in the snow storms. Never made it to the distribution center.

10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I use a scant 100+/-# a week. My feed store at least tires to keep up with my demand. I'm just silly enough to insist upon ordering "Game Bird Starter" not STARTENIweeni yellow polkatotied bikini.

It's product # 5419

Game bird starter...not "Game Bird Breeder" product #5438
    They try to throw anything into my trunk, but I'm on to them.

I would really like to kick the "ENA" name so far up Purina's vent it hurts. That's a whole other story. Sorry, I digress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by