Got first egg today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by revmichael, Feb 3, 2014.

1. revmichael

revmichael Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    I have 4 Barred Rocks who are 21 weeks old and one of them left me a present late this afternoon. I thought they would not be laying for a few more weeks so I don't even have a nesting box for them. They are in a closed run. I check on them every morning and early afternoon and late afternoon. This morning no eggs or this afternoon. Like I said I was thinking a few more weeks.

So I went out late this afternoon to give them some grass that I dug up the other day when I extended my veggie garden and low and behold a few feet away, in the middle of the run, was the first egg :) Not sure how long it was out there for. I was so excited I had to brag about it - now I'm being called farmer rev lol

This is my first time ever at raising chickens and I bought them when they were only a few days old. Looks like I'll be going tomorrow to buy a nesting box :) or make one to attach to the coop I made.

It looks rather small, though from what I'm reading they usually start off small and get bigger.

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on that first egg! Nice surprise. The eggs do tend to start small and get bigger as they keep laying, so your girls should be giving you nice big eggs in a month or two. Cardboard boxes make easy emergency nest boxes, or 5 gal buckets, cat litter containers etc that you have laying around.

3. revmichael

revmichael Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    got a second one today - another was going in and out of the nesting box this morning and making a lot of noise - but no egg - went out to look at them and check if she had laid yet and another was in the box on top of an egg - so not sure if it was hers or the other one from earlier today - either way I know now that I'll be getting some FRESH eggs :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by