Got First Eggs, now no eggs. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slfiggins, Aug 13, 2010.

1. slfiggins

slfiggins Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    I have 9 hens. 3 Buffs, 3 Brahmas and 3 Plymouth Rocks. They are about 20 weeks old. I got my first egg on August 5. Then I got another egg, just one on Aug. 6 and another on August 7. I haven't had any eggs since then. It has been 5 days should I be worried? I have no idea which bird/birds laid the first 3 eggs. The temperatures here have been in the 90's could this affect their laying? This is my first year with chickens. Thanks for your help!

Sara
    http://learningthefrugallife.blogspot.com/

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    A few days between the first egg and laying daily is normal. The heat can slow down egg production also.

3. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Those first eggs were just "teasers" to show you what their rent is like if you treat them right [​IMG] Jokes aside, I experienced the same thing with my birds, and from what I've ready on here, those first eggs are sometimes referred to as being practice eggs. Of course if they keep holding back on their rent, you can always show them how boring life would be without treats [​IMG]

Don't worry about it, they'll start making your breakfast soon enough, and yes, it is worth the wait.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I cut out the corn in my birds diet and my laying hen started laying 6 eggs a week instead of 5 and I'm in florida the temps have been hot, so I think the breed depends on whether they lay in the heat.

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    WATER, WATER,WATER. Change out their water in the heat of the day. I change my chicken duck and quail waterers 3-4-5 times as day when it is over 90 degrees. Make sure their water is fresh in the evenings. I notice more eggs in the morning when I have changed out water at 5PM and by 7Pm they need another gallon (for 21 hens).

Chicken don't eat as much in the heat. Make sure their diet is good, with a good feed. Cut back on the treats. I have 3 year old chickens that still give me 4-5 eggs a week and the heat index has been over 100 degrees for the past several weeks.

If you must give them a treat, make it yogurt add in some oats or oatmeal. Oats are good for egg laying.

Or just let nature take its course.

6. SilkiesAndSuch

SilkiesAndSuch Silkie Daddy

Jan 27, 2010
    Mayo
    I got my first egg yesterday and am hoping that I will get another today, though I am beginning to doubt it.....But I am glad to know that it is normal for them to be somewhat random until they get enough practice [​IMG] Good post

7. cluckiemama

cluckiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    it was a full week (maybe 8 days) before we got more eggs after first egg:D

8. slfiggins

slfiggins Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
  9. pokemonchicken

pokemonchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    no because it happen to me i started freakin out and then they started laying awhile after;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by