Got first substantial snow- peeps won't come out to eat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kingpartyof5, Dec 4, 2010.

1. kingpartyof5

kingpartyof5 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Central Indiana
    We got our first snow of about 2-3 inches today. My small (24-32 week old) flock will not leave the coop to eat or drink. I don't keep feed in the coop to reduce rodents and bacteria/mold growth. I only put it in the run/yard. A small part of their run is under their coop and they may free range 4-6 hours per day. Do I have to make a snow free zone, or will they eventually come out and eat when they are hungry?

2. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Mine don't like snow. The cold won't keep them in the coop, but a dusting of snow and they are coop bound. I figured the snow was scary.

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Mine don't like getting ankle deep in snow, so I always shovel it away from in front of the door and a path around the coop so my daughter can collect eggs easily. This moring they waited for me to clear the snow and then all piled out. You might try that and try tossing a few handsful of BOSS around. It is usually all the encouragement mine need to empty the coop.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    They just don't like anything new--mine wouldn't go into the coop when I bought a different texture of shaving..[​IMG]

Shovel them a path to the feed/water and maybe throw a bit of hay or straw down too if you have it and then toss some BOSS or other favorite treat around the run like BirdBrain suggested, they'll get over it in no time.

5. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Mine won't walk in the snow either. They're ~16 weeks old and it's their first winter. We got 25.9 inches of snow in November alone. Their small run is covered with a tarp to keep it snow free, so they can get to food and water there, but the area is way too small to be hanging out in all day. So I have to shovel the area around their coop/run to expose the grass so they will venture outside and not go crazy for the next 4 months!

6. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Mine are on their second winter and still find the snow scary...or maybe they are waiting for me to shovel![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by