Got FLEAS!!! How do I rid them? Poor chickens!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedRoosterFarm, Sep 18, 2010.

1. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I see the poor person who has mites and feel for them. We have fleas and what can I spray a few hundred birds with and acerage and bird barn? I have to do the house,cats and dogs too. I think the horses are ok. I go to feed my birds and come in and feel and see fleas on me. It is so flippen gross. I can bomb the coop but want to find something I can treat the birds with. I dusted them all a week ago but no use. Is there a spray mist I can fogg them with? I do have a big fogger. what to put in it though?Help please. I have lost a few from getting sucked dry of blood and it kills me.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Never heard of chickens getting fleas, looks like you might have some mites or lices on them.

From what I heard Sevin dust works and for real stubborn cases, Adams Flea and Tick dips may be the only thing left to do.

3. RedRoosterFarm

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    they are fleas no doubt! Now my parents have them and my work and I am sure I brought them plus I have bites and have cought and smashed a few. They are very hard to kill and mites squish real easy.
    Quote:

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

5. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    100 birds are tough. We treated for mites with Sevin, but it didn't work. It lessened the problem, but didn't kill them all. The problem is that it's difficult to get the stuff really into the feathers. Fleas might not be as annoying about crawling off the bird and hiding in cracks all over the hen house, though.

We got a dip from the feed store and mixed up a batch in an old tub and just caught the birds one at a time and dunked them, massaging it into their feathers. Once we were done with that, we mopped down the walls, roof and roosts of the hen house and put down more Sevin everywhere they hang out.

Seems to have taken care of it. They were all immediately much happier and their color came back 24 hours later.

There is a spray: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/poultry_protector.html We got it at the feed store but haven't used it yet. I don't know how well it works, but think it could have the same issue as trying to dust the birds that didn't work for us.

6. RedRoosterFarm

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    My problem is if I get dip it is raining here in Washington State and I dont want sick birds. I was going to dip but now I cant unless we get nice weather. WASHINGTON!GRRRR...lol. I am heading to the feed store today to see what they have. Thanks!
    Quote:

7. gottsegnet

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    Yeah, we got the stuff and had to wait for a clear day so they'd dry out. Do you have an indoor pen where you could put up a heat lamp? Just a thought since y'all have a LOT of rain!

8. gottsegnet

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    Oh, and I was going to ask how you dusted? I read that the "shake and bake" method was the best. You take the dust and put it in a bag then stuff the bird in there (with the head OUT of course!!!) and fluff the bag and work the dust in the feathers that way. I thought dipping sounded easier. [​IMG]

9. RedRoosterFarm

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    today wasnt a bad day so we cleaned out 10 pens and oxine fogged everything. After that we put DE down(if that even helps)Then we dusted around 100 birds. Tomorrow we do the birds in the small pens and outside. No dipping just Sevin.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by