Got hit tonite

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OthalaAcres, Dec 5, 2010.

1. OthalaAcres

OthalaAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Troy, NH
    We came home an hour after dark after helping some friends process some chickens to find that something else processed some of OUR chickens. One Dominique hen was pulled headfirst though the fence and missing her head & crop, two Silkies taken... one with just feathers left behind, and the other feathers and her head... both pulled through the fence. Found our partially crippled Dominique hen almost 10 year old hen unhurt but scared in the field behind the coop (no idea how she could've gotten that far unless she was carried & dropped or just sheer terror got her that far), another Dominique hen with a huge chunk of skin & flesh ripped off her neck (she has a big tumor in her abdomen that hadn't seemed to bother her, but I may just put her down after this). Also found our banty Dom roo, Onslow, stuck between two fences, scared but unhurt, and Fred, one of the largefowl Dominique roos, hiding behind the rabbit pens tarp (poor guy shut his eyes and just started SCREAMING when I picked him up... he was terrified!). [​IMG]

We set up two havahart traps with the remains of the birds that were killed, and we turned on the Xmas lights we have strung up on the coops, and there's a radio playing in the forge next to the coops. I am so scared whatever it was is going to come back again (I guess I can forget about sleeping tonite). By the signs, I'm thinking raccoon, which I pray isn't what it is... we've been fortunate enough to not have a problem with any in the almost 10 years we've had chickens here (we've lost a few birds here and there to foxes in the spring that we so far haven't been able to catch, and a hawk tried once and that's it). Our two big dogs (a GSD & an Aussie) are usually pretty good at keeping most predators away from our animals.

~Lily

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like a coon!

3. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    SOO Sorry for your loss. I too lost 7 chickens in the past 10 days. One to a cat, and the others to racoons. I had allll sorts of bait in our livetraps (meat, fish, scraps, canned cat food) with no luck except the ferel cats...UNTIL someone told me to use a HONEYBUN in the trap. I looked at him like he was insane but figured that it couldn't hurt. So I started putting a honeybun in the traps and each night I've caught a coon! 3 so far!!! So, good luck!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Don't pray that it's not raccoons. Hope that it is. They are among the easiest of the predators to box trap (in my experience) unless someone has previously caught, educated and released them aka relocation. Good luck, for it will return. Most likely not tonight but when it is hungry again. Electric fencing or hardware cloth around your fencing will make it more coon proof. Good luck.

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh Lily, so sorry to hear of your troubles. It does happen to all of us at one point or another but understanding the "odds" does not make us feel any better. I have had a few birds terrorized before and its horrible.
    Take care and your in my thoughts.

6. OthalaAcres

Feb 3, 2007
    Troy, NH
    Quote:Thanks so much for the tip! I'm making a trip to the convenience store tomorrow to stock up on bait!

7. OthalaAcres

Feb 3, 2007
    Troy, NH
    Quote:Good to hear they're easier to catch. I was always afraid of raccoons because they are so determined and can get into things so easily. But I guess it's better than something like a weasel or fisher, which I hear are REALLY hard to trap and to keep out of coops!

I just can't wait til our breeding barn is done so everyone is together in a nice, new, tight & secure building. It'll be like a poultry version of Fort Knox once I'm done with it!

8. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    What is a "honeybun"? Is it like a cinnamon roll?

9. Pastor Mike

Pastor Mike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Redmond Oregon
    Time to remember the Godfather. You take one of mine I'll take 3 of yours! Get the bait out and clear the neighborhood! Take no prisoners. DOA!

10. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks so much for the tip! I'm making a trip to the convenience store tomorrow to stock up on bait!

YES!! Let us know when you catch it!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by