Got hygrometer, thermometer x 3, dimmer switch and incubator... YAY!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by buzymom13, Jan 3, 2011.

1. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

I also got a 144 lumen flashlight to candle my eggs. I'm getting all set. I'm going to run the incubator as a test run for a few days to see what I'm up against...but I'm so excited. I got a LG model 9200 Still Air Incubator for my Christmas present from my hubby and I've been reading up on BYC about the do's and don't's and wherefores.

[​IMG] I'm trying to contain my excitement!!! Just needed to share... [​IMG]

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Ditch the hygrometer!

Go to Lowes and buy you one of those cheap digital indoor/outdoor rigs that shows the humidity and the temp. They work great. They are cheaper; and they are alot easier to use.

Best of fortune too you.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Congrats, sounds like you are doing it the right way. I hate to see people on here that have started incubating and THEN want to know what they need. Good luck, once you start hatching you will be hooked forever.

4. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    Can anyone tell me I've been reading that it's ok to put the eggs into egg cartons and use the "tilting" rocking method of moving a wedge from one side to the other every few hours. Is that right? It said to cut a hole in the egg "cup" of the carton...if I cut the top off do i still need to cut a hole (smaller) in the bottom of the "cup" to make sure the air is circulating? I'm new...sorry for the ?'s

Thankx for the input. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I also use egg cartons.

1. Cut the top off.
    2. Cut a hole in the bottom of each egg cup.
    3. Trim down the sides.

You want as much air flow as possible.

On turning, I guess what you want to do will work. That said, I still turn each egg: end over end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by