Got it narrowed down: 2 Oberhasli, Nubian, or Alpine wethers

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Granolamom, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Okay, we are now officially in the market for 2 neutered, male goat babies, at least 6 weeks old, and preferably one of the above breeds. If you have some for sale, or know of someone who does, please let me know. We're well on our way to our own little mini farm![​IMG]:weee:weee:weee

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I've got a sweet 3 yr. Nubian wether needing a new home. My kids love him... it's not going to be easy to let him go. But, I think we're too far away. I hope I can find as great a home for him as you will be for yours!

3. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    I will keep you in mind and if I see something here in Virginia before we come to Georgia in February to pickup our new pair of mini donkeys I will let you know. I can probably find some Nubians, and/or maybe Alpines. I am waiting on a Nubian buck baby myself right now, but mine will be intact. I have to ask why you are specifically looking for wethers? Why not a pair of does? I prefer the does over the bucks even if they are disbudded and descented, the does still smell better, but they are more needy and clingy. Anyway, if I can help, let me know! [​IMG]

Chris

4. Granolamom

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:Well, after asking a lot of questions and checking out a lot of websites, I came to the conclusion, that wethers would be best for us, since we're total beginners, and want to start out slowly. From what I understand, wethers remain "kid-like" all their life, and have sweet, mild tempered personalities (which is definitely what I'm looking for, since I have small kids). I am open to the possibility of does, though, too, especially since I have not entirely given up on the idea of milking them (I'm a flight attendant, and would need to find someone who'll do the milking for me when I'm gone). If you hear of someone between now and your trip to Georgia, let me know, that would be wonderful!

5. Granolamom

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:May I ask why you're trying to rehome him?

6. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Quote:Ok now I see [​IMG] I will watch, but you will not want bottle babies thats for sure (based solely on your work schedule). I know sort of what thats like as I have been working in San Diego for a little more than a year now and the commute is tough. I am on a waiting list for an unregistered Nubian buck and I will check on availability of more when I get back this week. The other thing that you can do is check local breeders, they sometimes sell goats that might not make their herd at lower cost. You just want to make sure that the reason is for color and not deformity.

Chris

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I have a Nubian doe due in Feb., as does BYC member FlightsofFancy. My kids will be 75% American, hers will be Nubian/Alpine crosses. Any buck kids my doe has will be for sale as wethers, and I THINK the same is the case with FlightsofFancy.

8. Granolamom

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:Thanks, Kate! I'll be in touch with both of you in the next few weeks. I've corresponded with FlightsOfFancy in the past, and would love to get back in touch with her, anyway. We never ended up meeting and letting our kids play together, as planned, but, who knows, maybe this will give us a chance to finally meet in person. Are you agreeing with me about wethers being the best choice for us, as we're just starting out? Would I prefer one over the other? (75% American Nubian, versus Alpine-Nubian mix?) Are Oberhasli's hard to find in Georgia (I've done a few searches but have not come up with anything)? Will you be bottlefeeding these guys, or are they allowed to nurse until you sell them, and at what age will that be? Are you disbudding them (I was really against that, initially, but have since then come to the understanding, that I do want disbudded goats. Right?)
    Sorry about the million questions! I'm a little overly excited about this...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  9. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Obers are kind of hard to find.

Yep, wethers are great to start off with, but if you ever want to milk - go ahead and get a wether and a doe so you have the doe when you're ready to breed. With the wether, who cares what it is...go off what you like looks wise. With the does...well they'll all be registered (FoF's will be experimentals, mine 75% american, altho any does I have won't be for sale)...and all will be fantastic milkers...so again, it's all about looks [​IMG] FoF has a daughter of her doe of the same cross, I think (well I KNOW she's Nubian/Alpine) and she's gorgeous...

FlightsofFancy is only about 30 mins south of me, we're best pals, LOL, and co-enablers. Our kids play really well together [​IMG]

After having my nose broken by my Nubi doe (on accident, of course) who is disbudded, I will certainly be disbudding ALL of my large breed kids. I can't imagine what might have happened to my face if she'd had horns. It's optional with the minis, but not with the larges.

My kids will be dam raised.

If you go to my kidding schedule, you can see my doe, also on that page there's a link to FoF's website (she bought my doe Sasha) to view her doe and her doe's Alpine cross daughter to see what we both might get.

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    ganola mom asked:
    May I ask why you're trying to rehome him?

It's only because we are so tight financially that I can't afford to keep an animal that isn't 'paying' it's way right now. My other goats are all milk does. If I had the time to train him for either packing or carting I'd keep him just for that as he is a big boy and soo gentle and smart.

This boy is the only wether I've ever had and he doesn't smell any different than my does do. Maybe that's unusual?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by