Got milk........... HELP

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ameraucanacrazy, Apr 18, 2009.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    my female goat had a baby boy this morring and now the baby is screaming and is tring to git milk but the mom will not let her,

but she is cleaning and protecting him

what is the problum

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

ok, I don't know squat about goats, but I have been around farm animals all my life. Two thoughts come to mind...first: hormones. Birth hormones make everyone act weird sometimes. Hold the mommas head and let the baby nurse but FIRST (here comes thought number 2): make sure mommy doesn't have mastitis. It hurts because it's an infection. Udder will be very hot and red.
    Oh, and here's your bonus thought for the day...is this mommies first time? Sometimes new mommies need some help. If you think that's the case hold her head and let baby nurse.

Congrats, btw!

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    The fact that she's cleaning him up is a good sign. Often it takes the kids a little bit to figure out were 'lunch' is. You may need to help him by gently holding him facing the teat and then use your finger to try and get the teat into his mouth. Trying to force this will just make you both frustrated... so, take a deep breath and have patience. He does need to eat within the first hour to get the all important colostrum so don't give up and don't leave until you've seen him nursing.

4. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    he got the first milk but after that the mom jumps over him when he tries to drink

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    You may have to hold momma - it will probably take two people - and force her to let the baby nurse. You may have to do this for several days until momma allows it herself. IF she absolutely refuses and you are tired of trying or it's evident that momma is not going to let her baby nurse.... then... you get to bottle feed!

Edited: If you do end up bottle feeding you will want to milk out momma and feed the baby some more colostrum just to make sure he's gotten plenty. Then, you either milk momma twice a day and enjoy wonderful, fresh raw goats milk or dry her up.

A great site for goats is: http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/index.php

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I bet she is very sore and scared...is this her frist freshening? Sometimes they are terrified of the screaming baby. You might need to milk her out to take of the pressure and feed the baby. I have had to do this before and its fine. Also hold her and make her stand to let him nurse and soon she will understand this is what she made and needs to take care of it. I had 1 that was really young when she kidded and didnt want anything to do with the baby but after me going out there and holding her and letting the baby nurse she finally got the picture to do it and they did fine after about 2 or 3 days. Some get it faster than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by