Got my 1st broody...put 12 eggs under her...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheJuan-n-Only, Apr 15, 2012.

1. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    So my olive egger, my youngest bird, was my 1st to go broody (she also laid the earliest)...today 1 put 3 Dominique roo RIR hen cross and 9 Dominique roo and silver laced wyndottes cross....wish me luck!!!!

Wonder what that mix is gonna look like....[​IMG]

2. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Good Luck!

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    One of the pullets that hatched here Dec 12th is already laying. She is a Wyandotte/EE cross. Her eggs are about the size of quail eggs but she laying. She turned out to look like here mama other than a single comb. I thought to start with she was a sexlink cross. But she is so much larger than the sexlink. The others hatched are BO crosses. They look like mama. Except one has a single comb and two has the rose comb. The two cockerels I sold had a rose comb and a single. The single comb one was red where the rose was buff. A real mix.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  4. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Very cool thx!

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If you had a RIR rooster over a barred rock hen, you'd have black sex links and could tell their genders on the day of hatch. With a Barred rooster, you will have chicks that grow to be barred. Their color won't necessarily be black and white barred, but feather barring is a dominant gene.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    12 eggs! Wow you are ambitious! Good luck!

7. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa

Awesome, that's what I was hoping for!! Love them barring hens...

8. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa

I know, and the soon to be mama is not that big to start with! lol 12 sounded like a good number, lol..I put the RIR eggs towards the middle hope I get at least 1 hen there...the rest will be gravy :) (literally some will end up with gravy on them hehehe [​IMG] )

9. Florida_country_boy

Florida_country_boy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    good luck Juan! It is very fun hatching your first chicks. Post some pics when they hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by