Got my 1st egg today!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by SassyKat6181, Aug 2, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Went to say good morning to the flock and saw my 1st egg in the coop. [​IMG] A bit surprising for me as they are only 16 weeks old. Probably going to have to save a weeks worth to make an omelette. [​IMG]

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    16 weeks old is normal for sex-links so I would expect the others will literally be laying anytime. Yay! on your first egg! Its always great to see the first one!

3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Yep 16 weeks old is when Guineas Hens can start laying. Congrats!

My Hens lay a little later each day and eventually will skip a day and start over early the following morning. I've found that first timers (young Hens) usually just randomly drop eggs where ever... it takes them a while to figure out they actually need to find a nesting spot [​IMG]

You might want to keep them locked in each day until you've gotten your egg for the day, or she (and others that start laying) may eventually choose spots outside to lay in and if you don't find and collect them you will eventually come up a Hen or 2 short (that have gone broody on the pile of eggs). If you establish their habit of laying in the coop from the get-go then you lessen the chances of losing a broody Hen to predators. I do that with my breeding flock, works great and no egg hunting in the heat for me (and no hot eggs).

Enjoy that Omelet when you finally get to cook one! You definitely earned it from this flock, lol [​IMG]

4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Thanks PeepsCa. I went to apologize for not letting them out again today (too many nasty thunderstorms lately and we had another tornado scare last week) when I saw this tiny egg laying on the floor. Do they nest on the floor or should I make a spot with some straw?

5. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    My Hens that actually lay in a nest usually prefer to dig a spot in the shavings/straw bedding behind something that gives them some privacy... So I have a couple pieces of plywood leaned against the wall at an angle (and secured so it does not fall on them) and a large dog crate. I also wove some small pine branches into a wooden and wire frame (since they like to lay in the bushes) and leaned that up against another wall (they've eaten all the pine needles but still lay behind that too, lol). Since I have 11 Hens in that flock I get a couple eggs in each spot, but I still get a random egg here and there on the coop/covered pen floor too... and an occasional stray egg dropped in the goat pasture after they've been out free ranging, lol. The Hens may share the "choice spot", but it may not be what you provide for them, lol.

I forgot to mention... (if you haven't provided them already) free choice to oyster shell and putting the whole flock on a layer feed is recommended for laying season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by