Got my babies! plus a few ?'s

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ALS1104, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ALS1104

ALS1104 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Panama City FL
    I finally got my babies! These are my first chickens and I'm super excited! I got 6 little barred rocks! Supposed to be 1 little boy and five little girls, but i don't think they were accurately sexed so we'll see... which leads me to my first question, how can i accurately sex them? Knowing my luck i'll end up with all roosters... not sure what i'll do if i have more than one rooster, cuz i've only had them a couple days and i'm already attached! I have them in a brooder (rubbermaid container) in my laundry room. Hopefully we'll have a Coop up soon. I'm looking at ideas on here for coop design. Probably something we can build ourselves or if i can find a cheap used storage shed or play house I can convert. Anyway, i can't resist sharing pics! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    All barred rocks have a white spot. the males are supposed to have a Yellower white spot. Females wings and tails develop faster. if you have one with no tail for 2 weeks it might be a male.
    I vent check where you lift the tail till the bung forms an O and if you see a dolup that looks like a baby lip hanging down and it is shiney it is a boy, if it is a slit and it is not shiney it is a girl.

3. KKs Kandies

KKs Kandies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    texas
    Oh, wow! Thanks! I've been looking for the sexing instructions, my wing 'sexing' is poor at best.

Congrats on your new chicks, it's way to easy to get attached isn't it? I have a roo just 'becuz' :)

4. ALS1104

ALS1104 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Panama City FL
    We "checked" them with the wives tails where you pick the up and whether they fight or dangle and where you lay them on their back and whether they hold their legs up or down if theyre boys or girls with questionable results... now that i have a little better idea im pretty sure i have 2 maybe 3 roosters... and my rooster is def not a rooster lol what do yall do with the extra roosters?

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    please don't dangle chicks!!! I tail sex, girls grow out butt feathers faster, if it is 1-2 weeks and no but feathers, but the other chicks have them, then is probably a boy.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Barred birds are supposed to be relatively easy. Males have wider white stripes and females have wider black stripes which makes them look much darker in comparison as they feather. Also, females often have a dark wash down the front of the legs while the males have a hint of it or none.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by