got my babies!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by chimneyrock, Jun 23, 2011.

1. chimneyrock

chimneyrock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    I just got my babies! They are about 3-4 weeks old, and cute as can be! I have been reading EVERYTHING I can to make sure I take care of them right. I have question though....They are in a separate cage inside my chicken coop and i have a blanket on the bottom of their cage, what is the best thing to put down under them? I keep reading about pine shavings....but how do i keep pine shavings clean or do i just change it out? and how often??? Any other help/suggestion is welcomed and greatly appreciated!!

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I just purchased 5-week-olds and have them in a large dog cage inside the coop.

I use the pine shavings as bedding.

I just toss more shavings on top as needed (I also use a deep litter method inside the coop).

ETA: And Congratulations on your new babies!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. chimneyrock

chimneyrock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    awww Thank You! Congrats on your babies too!! I think I'm gonna pick up some pine shavings today, and give it a try! I had them in a dog carrier for about a day (with a towel) but I got DH to make me a 4'x2'x2' cage inside my coop for them! I just want to make sure they stay clean and dry! Good luck to you....mine seem to "chirp" a lot, but i don't mind! [​IMG]

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Congratulations on your new babies. I just hatched 17 7 weeks ago. They are so adorable and cute. I love them. Did not know how funny they could be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by