Got my baby chicks yesterday - pictures

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smnytx, Sep 29, 2007.

1. smnytx

smnytx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2007
    This is our first foray into chicken keeping (although my DH grew up in East Los Angeles with chickens in his yard!). We have designed our tractor/coop, and plan to build it over the next few weekends. In the meantime, we've got the chicks in a plastic storage bin. I've cut out part of the lid and inserted a metal grate using zip-ties, and so far, it's working like a dream.

OK, so far is just over 24 hours, but what can I say? The babies were delivered to the feed store (from Ideal) on Thursday, but I have no idea how recently they hatched. If anyone can give a guess, let me know. The pictures were taken yesterday (Friday, 9/28).

Meet the chirpy McChirpsters:

Rocky (the barred rock - she has the cutest, fuzzy white penguin butt!):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rhody (the RIR - and what can I say? My DS named them):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and Racket (the Auracana, so named for chirping LOUDLY on the ride home):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There they are, the newest additions to our suburban homestead! They'll be moving out to the screen porch as soon as I find the folding table. Thanks for looking, and any expert guesses as to their "hatch" date would be appreciated. I think that Rocky might have hatched earlier, as she is a bit more petite, but they seem to have about the same amount of wing feathers...

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Don't have a clue as to how old they are but can I just say .....aaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww![​IMG]

3. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    they are so adorable!!! Don't ya'll just wish they'd stay that small and fuzzy forever!!! [​IMG]

4. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    [​IMG]
    SQUEEEEE!!!! Too cute! I want to kiss the little fuzzy heads.

If they were delivered on Thursday they probably hatched on Tuesday. After a week they start to get some pin feathers, so these guys are probably a week old on Tuesday by my guess. Have fun with them!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  5. nancyy

nancyy New Egg

Sep 30, 2007
    awwwwh , theyre soo cute. and i bet theyre going to be gorjuss

6. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    They look about as feathered as my kids who hatched last weekend, so I'd say they're 3-5 days old (so I'm with peepkeeper on Tuesday or there abouts being week 1).

Congrats, they're adorable! [​IMG]

7. ParadiseHawaii

ParadiseHawaii Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2007
    Big Island
    My babies were delivered to the feed store (from Ideal) on Friday Aug 17th. I was told they were 2 days old.

Have Fun.

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Cuties! My age guess: I don't think I see an egg tooth on any of them and they have baby wing feathers coming in so I guess....3 days old.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  9. leghorns_rule

leghorns_rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    syr New york
    1...2...3...AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

10. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks arrived from Ideal last Thursday, were shipped Wed, and I presume they hatched Tuesday, and they look exactly like yours. I would say 5 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by