Got my bantam to the vet- prognosis guarded

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by libbyhan, Aug 24, 2010.

1. libbyhan

libbyhan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    I posted the other day- I have a tiny bantam (I posted that she was 16 weeks, but she's actually 12) that started sneezing and open mouth breathing on Saturday. I started her on duramycin on Saturday as a precaution. It just seemed she wasn't right.

She's gotten worse... not eating as well, all puffed out, sneezin a lot more and sleepy. And, now she makes a squeaking noise when she sneezes. Can't be good. No other chickens are sick.

I took her to my small animal vet this am and he got a good listen to her lungs. Her lungs are asthmatic and dry-wheeze sounding. He's not got a lot of chicken experience, so he called an avian vet to confirm his diagnosis (upper resp. infection) and plan.

He pulled her off the duramycin and put her on tylan and batril. Tylan orally for 3 days, baytril orally for 5 days. She's still eating a bit and acting interested in food. It's gotten cold here all of a sudden, so we've got her under the brooder lamp. She seems to like that a lot. She's been a champ to medicate. I've got her on yogurt, which she's not liking anymore, and boiled eggs.

So, she's hanging in. I understand that we might lose her and the kids are prepared. She's really kind of a silly thing- she weighed 8 oz today at the vet- that's more ornamental than working-chicken. But, we hope she makes it and want to take the best care of her we can.

2. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Good luck with her! So tiny - I bet she is a darling!
    If she is tired of yogurt, you might try putting a bit of berry in there (I have had best luck with raspberries). Squish them up though, especially if she doesn't have a whole lot of grit in her system.

I read in one of my threads about someone making kind of a steam treatment for a chick with respiratory... I'll see if I can find it

3. libbyhan

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks! The vet said that we could try steam if she gets more congested. He said to put her in the bathroom with a steamy shower (we've done this for sick kittens). I thought that I read somethig about vicks vapor rub on here?

You are my hero, btw, with that injured rooster. Talk about dedicated.

4. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    here ya go... it was actually in the rooster thread (thanks)

Buster2NZ wrote:
    My tuppence worth i thought i would share with the community is, i had 2 little chicks about 3 days old, i have no idea what was wrong but their poo went funny and the first one too die had mucus coming out of its mouth. I didn't know what to do, so decided something was better than nothing. So i got a small steel bowl with a lip all around the edge, and put a piece of chicken wire over the top, then placed boiling water in the bowl, put about 6 drops of Tea Tree oil, 6 drops of Eucalyptus Oil & 1/4 teaspoon of Honey. Placing this very carefully into the container the chick was in and covering the container over the top with newpaper and towels to keep the steam in, leaving this in there till the water went cold. I did this 3 times a day and the little chick survived.
    I did this for another chick that was about a month old, that stopped eating, by the second day he had jumped out of his container and i found him up above me on a perch. He's now a lovely big Rooster

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Libby-

I went throught his with a reall special hen of mine, and I also ran a vaporizer with vicks on her, and I really think that helped her.....Just wanted to share.

6. libbyhan

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks, Sharon. Can you tell me exactly what you did? I'm going away over night tomorrow night. I've got a vet tech friend that is going to come over to care for her, but I want to do as much as I can for her today to give her an edge. She's a special hen, too. And, the only one that likes me out of all 9.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by