Got my birds comfy :)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Nov 30, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I got my cots set up in their new enclosures and they are apparently comfy because 7 hens are giving me 7 eggs a day [​IMG]

I have them in the small shed enclosure I built for them in trios and they are under a heat light 24 hours a day, not what I wanted to do but they were not handling the cold well so I thought I would just put the heat light on them. Apparently they are comfy enough because they are all laying [​IMG]

I am happy they are laying and I cant wait till I get the ones raised up that I just set in the incubator, I just love these lil eggs. They are tasty and they are becoming quite a novelty to people that buy my chicken eggs, they all want the "tiny eggs" because their kids think they are cute lol

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Glad to hear all is well with your birds! [​IMG]

3. MamaManda

MamaManda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    SW Washington
    My Coop
    Ok, I feel dumb, but what are "cots"? I have coturnix quail that have just stopped laying. Have a light on them 12 hours a day...nothing.

Don't you love knowing your birds are happy when they shower you with eggs? Quail eggs are a huge hit with my 7, 5, and 2 year olds as well. They love for me to hard boil them so they can pop them in their mouths like little hor dourves. [​IMG]

4. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Sorry, cots = coturnix

Your birds may just be on strike or possibly moulting, give them the same amount of light and keep feeding them well and you
    Will have eggs again soon enough [​IMG]

5. MamaManda

MamaManda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    SW Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I'm such a dummy! Sorry. As you can see over there on the left, I'm a Newbie. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Hey your fine, I was the newbie not so long ago lol

7. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:You could try going to 14 hours of light. That will give them peak performance, but wears the little hens out sooner....after 1 year old or 1.5 the production goes down...if the hens don't have the normal "rest" period in the winter (shorter day months) their overall life expectancy goes down...but that's not a show stopper, you just hatch out replacements for your current breeders, and send your breeders to freezer camp.

Also make sure you are giving them a good quality game bird feed 24%-28% protein...that could be a variable....

Molting is another, but the good game bird feed will assist with feather replacement and get them back to speed quickly.

And last, ALL Newbies are required to post pics of their birds and talk about your particular quail set up! You have come to a great community for all species of quail knowledge...if someone here doesn't know it.....someone will make it up [​IMG] [​IMG] (just kidding [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by