got my breeder pen almost done !..

Discussion in 'Quail' started by swheat, Sep 9, 2011.

1. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I have been working on this 2 story breeder pen with egg roll-out. I got it boxed in but still have to cut out the doors. I am glad most of the wire cutting and crimping of the wire is DONE ! my hands are trying to cramp up...[​IMG] The pen is 10 feet long with 6 pens per row(12 total) so that will keep enough breeders to keep me busy for a while(til I get more pens done [​IMG] ).
    I am going to install low-pressure watering cups and a feed trough made from 2 inch pvc pipe. I don't have the poop pans inserted in the space between the pens. I inclined the bottoms 2 inches, hopefully that will be enough for the eggs to roll to the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. syble

syble Songster

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    how big is each pen? how many birds do you plan to put in a section?

3. syble

syble Songster

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    also, hope your adding a good sized lip to that egg tray that looks like one heck of a pitch hehe

4. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Syble,

Each pen is 20 X 20, I plan on a pairs, trios, or maybe quads...just have to see how it goes. I have 1 inch lip turned at the end just hard to see in the pic(wire blending with wire) 3 inches out plus the 1 inch lip ... it is a 2 inch drop..I don't think they will jump..[​IMG]

ETA- the pitch looks greater than it really is, probably also the angle of the pic makes it look that way.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  5. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Songster

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Very nice!

6. syble

syble Songster

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    maybe it just looks more extream then it actually is, i just worry about cracks in the eggsbut i suppose you could always pad it

7. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:It is very similar to the GQF breederer pens, so I don't think they will crack.

8. Rexbandit

Rexbandit Chirping

Aug 23, 2011
    Stratford Okla
    Thats a great looking pen. I really like it wouldn't mind having a couple set up indoors with lights for the winter. Think I can just order a couple from you. Lol.

9. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:thanks, I don't think I could do these in production..LOL, but if you were close I would sure help you build one. [​IMG]

10. mhwc56

mhwc56 Songster

Aug 5, 2010
    my house in maryland
    That is nice....only problem i see is wire size if they are not going to be inside a secure building. Anything bigger than 1/2 inch will leave your birds open to attack...believe me, i know from experience! 1" allows for predators' paws to reach in a pull off bird parts ....nothing much worse than being greeted by THAT first thing in the morning when you go out to feed![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: