1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got my Brower top hatch today, now what ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NancyP, May 8, 2009.

1. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Any insider help on putting it together, tips,tricks, etc.

Thanks.

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Nancy, I have one running right now. Nice units. Don't forget to place the bars inside the turner knob. (I have no idea the correct termonology of this "stuff")

Do yourself a favor and order another set of those itsy-bitsy still balls, the ones smaller than b-bs. Get a magnet to work with those little things. And NEVER, EVER turn the unit upside down or they go everywhere. (I said I wouldn't either, but I did!) That was the best advice I recieved..... from Jimnjay. Oh, and I taped the extras to the top of the base.

Buy extra bulbs for the event the bulb blows during an incubation.

And go ahead a wrap it unit with something to hold heat. I use quilting batting because one of these days when I stop playing on BYC long enough I'm going to make my little blanket to keep it wrapped in. Others just use bubble wrap.

Clean up is the BEST! Throw everything but the base in the dishwasher after hosing it out really good with a blast of water.

If you have problems, I'll try to help with the assembly. But, I'm one of those that the husband runs and snatches it away before I get mad and break something. Not meaning to.... just trying to make things fit that won't. [​IMG]

3. NancyP

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Thanks,
    Well I got it put together and it's up and running. I am surprised it is really quiet just a low hum. Everything I read people complained about the noise. It was up to temp in about an hour.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. NancyP

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I need to add a hygrometer and am wondering how to place it in the bator.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    And you'll need fertile eggs!!![​IMG]

6. NancyP

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    [​IMG]
    yeah that's next on my to do list:p

7. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    I hatched two batches of chicks last year with one and it did a really good job. Just make sure you check the temp at egg level. I used the included thermometer that came with the unit and it worked well. If you fill the well all around the outside with water for the hatching period, then add more water to the rest of the bottom area during the last three days of hatching, you should do really well. Also, make sure to open an extra vent during hatching to allow for plenty of fresh air. Cleanup after the hatch is about as easy as it gets. Dishwasher!

Oh, and I bought Sylvania bulbs since they seem to last and do a better job at heating than the one that comes with the unit. They hold the temp better IMO.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by