Got my chicken nipples installed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Papakeith, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Rhode Island
    It only took a few weeks for me to tire of filling a one gallon water feeder twice a day. I decided to give nipples a chance. Since I'm out there with a hose filling horse buckets anyway I think the nipple setup will make life a bit easier with (hopefully) less waste.

Anyway here is the setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took about 30 seconds to get the first hen to start pecking away at it. I checked just now and at least 5 of the 12 took a drink while I was there.

2. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Nice! I have thought of doing something similar.
    Do you have a way to keep it from freezing up?

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    So glad you posted photos. I got all the supplies (PVC, bucket, nipples) earlier this week - and just have to get it set up. It really helps to see your photos. So glad it's working out for you.

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I just switched to the nipples too and in 5 minutes or less they were all using them [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Papakeith

Sep 21, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Quote:I've got two ideas. The first is to use an electric pipe heater tape. I have one on hand and it should be long enough to route down the pipe and around the bucket a time or two.
    The other is to insulate the pipe and use a submersible bucket heater.

6. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    Progress intelligently planned... Well done!

7. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Cool, what did you use to keep pipes togeather (glue, silicone) Where did you get the red chicken nipple thingies? I'am verry intersted. [​IMG]

8. Papakeith

Sep 21, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I glued the PVC with purple primer and solvent cement glue.

The nipples are the push in type, and I got them from Farmtek. While they say drip free (and they don't), the girls are still making a little bit of a mess. I may end up putting some sort of spash screen and drip pan just to keep the wood from being soaked all day every day.

9. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I bought the screw in 360 degree nipples from QC Supply. Still waiting for my DH (a plumber!) to install them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by