Got my chicks in the mail today - Qs and one looking droopy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by akphotography, Aug 6, 2010.

1. akphotography

akphotography New Egg

Aug 6, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I am so excited - I just got my first every baby chicks. We ordered them through Cackle hatchery and all arrived okay. However, as the day goes on, one my little chicks is looking a little droopy. He kind of hangs his head to the side and peeps. I've checked for pasting and dipped his beak in water. Anything else I can do? Is he just going to die? Or is there a chance he might recover?

Here is a picture of some of my new peeps. We have 20!! I ordered 17 bantam assortment because we wanted to keep about 7 or 8 and knew about half would be roos. But 20?! How am I going to find homes for so many extras?

Also, since it was an assortment, I would like to figure out what kinds we have. If I post pictures of the little chicks on here, do you think someone could help us identify what we have?

[​IMG]

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i think there might be some RIR they're so cute!!!

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    From what I've seen, people are really good about identifying mystery chicks. [​IMG]

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    When chicks are 'dozing off' when they are sleepy, their head will tilt over to the side and they will make soft peeping noises. Do you think hes just tired?

5. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Be prepared - when these little guys get tired they just plop - face down, wings out and quite dead-looking I might add. I was a very nervous first time peep mom and never quite got used to that [​IMG]. I'd just keep an eye on her - if the droopy behavior is prolonged you may want to try some electrolytes in water. At this point I'm willing to bet it she is just pooped!

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:I also think its just tired. sometimes tiny chicks that seem fine will die, through nobodys fault it just happens. I cannot help with breed I.D, is that a green spot on ones head thats furthest back on waterer,or am I just starting to see things. they sure are cute!

7. volleypc

volleypc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Wow... Dejavu.. I received my chicks from Cackle Hatchery today also.. 31 of them and they are doing great. I was worried about them because of all the heat the last 2 days. I added a couple of tablespoons to the water and those little chicks are bouncing all over the place. I am sitting on the couch about 30 feet away, they just seem cheerful and right at home. Good luck.

8. akphotography

akphotography New Egg

Aug 6, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Thank you all for the advice! It looks like she was just tired. She seems to have perked right up now.

And you guys were right about the RIR. I have 5 of those, since we specified that breed. I also know I have two full size easter eggers, which it looks like they marked with green coloring on their forehead. Hopefully it goes away.

But I have about 12 "mystery" chicks, which I have no idea their breed. I posted better pictures of them, if any of you here would like to venture a guess. They are on this post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4633446#p4633446

9. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    One time I had a guinea keet with a bad leg, and the others would help it over to the feeder and waterer. I put a stint on it's leg until it healed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by