got my chicks May 7 so they are about 3 weeks.......turn off heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchickmomma12, May 25, 2016.

1. newchickmomma12

newchickmomma12 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    I did just unplug heat lamp and chicks are peeping but not loud and they are not huddled. House is at 78 and I an roasting.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Or go to a lower wattage bulb

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    To put heat on chicks when the ambient temp is that warm serves no useful purpose. Three-week olds can handle those temps just fine.

My chicks are shy of three weeks and use their heating pad cave only at night, and they are outdoors. The temps are in the 70s and 45 at night.

Keeping the ambient temps as cool as possible is better for chicks than a hot house environment.

4. newchickmomma12

May 12, 2016
    yep when I unplugged the heat lamp they peeped loud so I turned on the living room light and now they are peeping machines..

5. LottieHaveMercy

LottieHaveMercy Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    Remington, Va
    I am going through something similar. I had the heat lamp so far away the temp was ambient so I turned it off, and the chicks FREAKED! I put in a regular light and they calmed down. If I turn it off for bed they go nuts and heap up. I wish I had gone the heating pad route [​IMG]

6. newchickmomma12

May 12, 2016
    almost like scared of the dark...well been without a heat lamp for all last night and today and they are doing fine..going to get them in coop this weekend outside. they are not completely feathered but was born May 4 so they are strong enough :) I handfeed hem and they love climbing and resting on my arm except this one Jersey giant , she pecks my arm..she's the bully and my astrolorp is the bottom so I make sure she gets lovings. my 2 Rhode Island Red's they coo :)

My chicks:
    2 Rhode Island Red
    1 Barnevelder
    1 Black Australorp
    2 Black Jersey Giant
    3 New Hampshire Red
    3 Golden Laced Wyandotte
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. LottieHaveMercy

LottieHaveMercy Just Hatched

May 24, 2016
    Remington, Va
    Good luck with your coop move! I hope to move mine in the next week...hopefully without a night-light [​IMG]

8. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Wow. Nice mix of breeds. Hope everything goes well!

9. newchickmomma12

May 12, 2016
    ?sdrawkcab gnipyt si ti yhw ko?sruoy era dlo woh ): sknahtt

10. newchickmomma12

May 12, 2016
    thanks not sure how I was ty ping backwards..really weird..how old are your chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by