Got my chicks! (one with pasty bum)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cassiadawn, Apr 29, 2009.

1. cassiadawn

cassiadawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    SK, Canada
    So, I picked up my 12 black sex-link chicks today! Here they are in the brooder... I'm guessing they're 2 or 3 days old already, since they've all shown great interest in the food already.

They're tending to huddle on the heated side a fair bit - I'm thinking they're just a bit cold, since it's about 99F right under the light right now. (yes, I know that's much warmer than they need... it's only about 84F on the other side of the container)

[​IMG]

Unfortunately one of the 12 had a pasty bum right out of the box. I've gotten her all cleaned off and put Vaseline on, but I think she must have been pasted up for awhile - she was picking at the mass before I got her cleaned up, and she's missing all the down around her tail and vent. The other chicks started pecking at her bare spot when I put her back in with them, so she's in a box on her own now. Any idea how long it will be until she can go back in with the rest (ie, when will she have new down)? They actually made her bleed a bit before I got her back out again, so I really don't want to put her back in until she's not quite such a target. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I'll have to take some better pics when they've settled in a bit!)

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Keep her bum cleanwith warm wet cloth. I put vasaline on her bum and surrounding feathers to keep poo from sticking. If you do a search on pasty butt you will see lots of info as this has been addressed alot. Some people use suppliments to stop cinstipation so i suggest you do a search.

3. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    I had one with the same problem. she is a black star. picked her up from a local feed store last friday, cleaned her off friday, saturday, sunday and by monday she was fine. I didn't seperate her though. just cleaned her off and after she was dry, put her right back in. she's happy and back to normal now!!! [​IMG]

4. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    Hi,

I had trouble with the pasty butt about 24 hours after I got my chicks. One thing I did was take away the quik chick, it has a lot of sugar in it. Also, I hand fed them a little bit of mashed up scrambled egg for extra protein.

I think you have already know how to clean them up with warm water and put a little vasaline on the butt. Mine seemed to be OK after about 2 days of nothing but plain water, feed, and the little bit of scrambled egg, mashed up good.

Good idea about keeping the little chick away from others, good luck with your babies. By the way, I have one little black sex link chick I saved from sure death at the "done with all these chicks"feed store. (she was the only one left). Now she's a black beauty in a sea of Rhode Island Reds (47)

Donna Belle

5. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    One of my RIRs had a pasty bum, but I just cleaned her up with warm water for 2 days and it cleared up. My other chicks never messed with her, but I suspect it wasn't as bad as yours. Let us know what happens!
    Good Luck![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by