Got My Chicks This Morning From Cackle! (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skav2407, Mar 4, 2009.

1. skav2407

skav2407 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Wakefield, RI
    I'm so excited, this is the first time I've been able to pull myself away from watching them. lol I got my first 16 chicks ever today. All 16 arrived healthy, no DOA, no pasty butt, no spradle leg. I ordered 5 RIR (I Live in RI) pullets, 5 Gold Laced Polish (Straight Run), and 5 Silkies (Straight Run). Cackle ended up sending me 6 Silkies. The Polish seem to like walking around in the waterer and one of the RIR thinks it's some kind of card board woodpecker, it pecks at the cardboard box constantly. There is also a RIR who seems to be a bully. They all seem very friendly and don't have much of a problem being picked up. The Silkies are eating fine but they don't seem to be drinking as much as the others which has me worried. I dipped everyones beak in the water before they went into my brooder (2x6 Cardboard Box). I have to admit it does take some getting used to when you see them walk around and then just stop and fall to the ground like they're dead, then 10 seconds later they wake up and run around some more. lol Below are some pics:

One of my RIRs:
    [​IMG]

One of the Gold Laced Polish:
    [​IMG]

Silkie and RIR
    [​IMG]

What's the Temp in here?
    [​IMG]

All of them?
    [​IMG]

Attack the shiny thing on the back of the thermometer!
    [​IMG]

Chillin' with my Peeps:
    [​IMG]

Freshly opened Chicks:
    [​IMG]

2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Cute! Cute!! Cute!!!!!! [​IMG]

We're getting our 2nd order being shipped today from Ideal that has "pretty chicks", Cochins, Orloffs, Favs, Brabanters, Dorkings, and a Marans mixture. Our first order was more layers.

Enjoy!!

3. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Aw, they're so cute. I bet your so happy. [​IMG]

Mine are being shipped on the 23rd. I can't wait.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  4. durtywater

durtywater Out Of The Brooder

cute chicks....when was ur ship date and what state do u live in if u dont ming me asking it just i have an order from cackle to be sent of tomorrow ( 50 RIRs) just wondering how long it took for u too get them.......

5. brizzlequizzle

brizzlequizzle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    so cute!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    my chicks ship today and will arrive on friday.
    Im soo excited for when I open that box and see all those peeping fuzz balls. Im considering skipping school that day, just for the occasion.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    They are gorgeous! Yep- when i got mine home yesterday i thought they were sick, just plopping down for a nap- then up and going! that takes some getting used to....

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Well congrats, very beautiful Chicks indeed.
    On the other hand I am a little crazy, I traveled to the hatchery today and picked up my 25 chicks, and now I am enjoying them so very much, I love them. thanks God I am always happy. [​IMG]

Omran

8. luvarabhorses

luvarabhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    Really cute, like the cardboard woodpecker comment. thanks for sharing.

9. Hambone02

Hambone02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Cackle is GREAT!!! I got mine 12 Feb (21 total), and all are healthy and doing awesome.

10. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    Picking up my order from Cackle tomorrow. 6 cinnamon queen pullets and 7 straight-run Welsummers. Can't wait to get them! ROADTRIP![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by