got my chicks today. Think i need to separate 2...blood on beak. quick advice please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jwood, Mar 18, 2015.

1. jwood

jwood Out Of The Brooder

Hi,
    So i picked up my 6 chicks this evening from the farm supply store and i am concerned about 2 of them. I guess the hatchery clipped the tops of their beaks? All 6 have a sore spot on their beaks but 2 are worse than the rest. The 2 i'm concerned about have actual blood from the clipping. The other chicks keep peaking at the spots and making them worse. I'm right to separate these 2 for a few days correct?

The little one with the worst beak doesn't seem to be eating either, i've dipped her beak in the water and tried to get her to eat but she's not interested. I'm super worried!

I would be heartbroken if she died! I didnt ask for the beaks to be trimmed so i am not prepared for this issue!

Speedy advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. brotchicks

brotchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    NY
    Yes you are correct to separate them from the rest, but don't do it for to long because you don't want them to get lonely or even not fit in when they get back to the flock. You could also put some vasoline on it to help it heal. You could try to also discourage any pecking behaviors at each other.

3. jwood

jwood Out Of The Brooder

i think it is too late...she is dying

i have her in my lap in a towel...i tired to force feed her some water and watered down starter but she refuses...she is now gasping

:(

i dont know what to do :(

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I'm sorry. [​IMG] Sometimes chicks just don't make it no matter what we do.

5. brotchicks

Feb 20, 2015
    NY
    I am so sorry[​IMG][​IMG] I think you should definitely contact the farm supply store.

6. jwood

jwood Out Of The Brooder

Well by some miracle this chick made it through the night. I took her to bed with me last night and had her snuggled in a towel. She seemed to perk up a bit and stopped gasping and started peeping. So I started force feeding her a bit of watered down chick starter through out the night. By 3am she was happy and peeping beside me...although would only settle down and sleep if she was in my hand...needless to say I didn't get much sleep!!

She was pretty perky this morning so I tried to put her back in with her friends. She was doing pretty well and was holding her own with them but she still wont eat on her own. After about 30 mins (the time it took me to get ready for work) she was doing the same thing as last night...super wobbly, eyes closed, weak. I removed her and put her in my bathroom with heat. I force fed her a bit and had to leave her to go to work. My husband works evenings so he is home during the day and can care for her when he gets up although im not sure how he will do as he's not very good at that kind of stuff but bless his heart because he tries for me!!

What else can I feed her? She refuses to eat on her own and it needs to be watered down enough that can get it into a syringe. I tried some cooked eggs this morning but she wasn't having it. Should I try raw? Yogurt?

Hopefully she is still alive when I get home. We are quite attached to each other now :)

Thanks for all you help!

7. jwood

jwood Out Of The Brooder

She died last night, poor thing.

I'll email the farm supply store and let them know.

On a brighter note the 5 others are doing well, happily eating, peeping, and pooping :)

8. brotchicks

Feb 20, 2015
    NY
    So sorry[​IMG] we lost one of our hens last night[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] now we only have one so we are probably not going to keep her.[​IMG] I guess we are done with chickens. Maybe we will still raise the chicks then just give all to our friends

9. jwood

jwood Out Of The Brooder

oh no! sorry to hear! you have had bad luck with your hens?

10. brotchicks

Feb 20, 2015
    NY
    These are our first hens so we had a very bad coop. The first loss was a complete random one it was right in our patio and not even our dog heard it. The second was a coop issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by