Got my chicks today :-)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klcabe, Mar 29, 2012.

1. klcabe

klcabe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Canton, NC
    I got 2 buff orpingtons, 1 RIR, 1 barred rock, and 6 partridge rock pullets. The 6 partridge rocks came from TSC, and the other 4 came from a local feed store, but he said they came from Mt Healthy. We actually walked in just when they arrived at the store.

For the moment, I have them in a dog crate in a spare room. They've been here for several hours now and seem to be settled in. They are making that quiet little 'peepeepeepeep' sound. :)

[​IMG]

I still need to decide what kind of rooster to get, and I also want to get some Welsummer bantam pullets, but I can't find them around here, so I may have to order them online, unless any of you know where I can get a few!

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Congrats! they are soooooo cute!

3. Searls99

Searls99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    central Ny
    They are cute congrats

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    :welcome

They are very cute, especially when they crowd together in little bunches. :p I love day-old chicks, but we can't buy them from the feed store.

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Congratulations on the new chicks and welcome to BYC. Just 8 more days until I get part of this years chicks and 15 days until I get the remainder. I am getting about 20 this year. My family and I can't wait.

6. klcabe

klcabe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Canton, NC
    Thanks! This will be my first time actually raising chicks; I've had Sebrights before, but they were just for pets, so nothing was really required or expected of them - and I got them as adults. I got these for egg production, and I'm excited about watching them grow. I've been going in there several times a day to handle and talk to them. They're still a little skittish, but I can't bring them out into the main part of the house because my dogs and cat would eat them. So far, they are all eating/drinking/ pooping nicely, and it seems like their little wing feathers are growing by the hour! :)

7. dlschwank

dlschwank New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    I am new at this! I got my first 2 chicks yesterday - 1 day old. One is an Americauna & the other is a Silver Laced Wyandot. They were fine most of the day yesterday but last night the Americauna starting chirping VERY loud. The Wyandot is very calm and when she lays down the other just stands over her and squawks. Is everything OK? The temp seems to be fine. And they are drinking water & eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by