Got my Chicks yesterday!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kyliesmommax5, Apr 23, 2009.

1. kyliesmommax5

kyliesmommax5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    [​IMG] I am so excited! I got 5 RIR pullets and 15 Buff Orpington straight run! They all seem to be doing good! How long are you supposed to give them sugar water? Not sure about that. I was going to post a pic but I am not sure how! Hope that you all have a good day!

2. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Great choices there! You will love your BOs as they have turned into one of my favorite breeds. The RIRs have a lot of personality and you will grow to love them as well. I certainly love mine, even though both of mine are roos, and must go. Anyhow, I am not sure about the sugar water, but I can help on the pics. I created a photobucket account on photobucket.com. Its absolutely free and you can upload all of the pics you want. Then, after its uploaded, you just copy the direct link and click the "Img" button at the top of the screen and paste the link between the image tags. Its easy once you get the hang of it. I have over 50 pics on photobucket, and a bunch up here.

hope this helps

vortec

3. NorthernAZchickens

NorthernAZchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    From my understanding suger water should be used only the first day they arrive and only if they are looking stressed or lathargic. (spelling sorry). Too much suger can be bad for them, just like people.

4. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
  5. YumaJohnny

YumaJohnny Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Yuma
    Yes I have read the sugar water is only for day one - gets them to drink - Are you having a problem with them drinking? If so they might not like the taste of the water (some people with wells happens to them)

Can't wait to see some pics!

My 5 barred rocks were one week young yesterday (thursday 4/23/09)

6. astatula

astatula Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    I have been using a vitamin/mineral supplement in their water and it has a little bit of glucose in it as well. My 4 day old BC Marans are very alert and energetic and the TSC guy said to use this in their water throughout their chick-hood.

7. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Off topic slightly, but I've been uploading my pics to the BYC server and posting pics directly from this site.

I just keep the pics I might actually intend to post in the near future uploaded and delete the junk so I stay within the quite generous storage guidelines.

Isn't this available to all members?

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I've been doing the same thing and at 88%. How do you delete so I can continue to post pics that way?

Thank you - sorry for off topic as well.

I wouldn't think chicks would need any suppliments in the water. They wouldn't get that hanging out with Mom.

I stick with clean fresh water and chick starter crumbles.

9. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    kyliesmommax5
    Welcome TO BTC [​IMG]

You choose some nice breeds. I have 3 RIR hens and they're my favorite and other than the ISA's are the friendliest. A couple of our BO's have turned broody recently but before that they were very dependable layers.

Good luck and send some pics!

Lisa

10. kyliesmommax5

kyliesmommax5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    I think that I figured this out! Here is one of my buffs! Her name is Chicka! My kids named her!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by