Got my Cornish Rock Chicks UPDATE

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by msulaimain, Mar 15, 2013.

1. msulaimain

msulaimain Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Carolina
    I recently bought 15 cornish x chicks from Tractor Supply and so far, I think they have been doing good.

I have a concern though. They aren't cheeping a lot. Their fairly quiet. I bought them this Tuesday. Is that a problem that they aren't cheeping alot like I usually see them in videos on Youtube. My chicks do cheep, but not all the time and sometimes, I think they are snoring...

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Mimiko

Mimiko Out Of The Brooder

Hey there---I just bought my first 14 Cornish X chicks from Tractor Supply in Albermarle, NC. I got them home and I am slightly concerned because they seem to have the sniffles.....It's the same place I bought my 20 Easter Eggers (labeled Ameracaunas, of course) whom I am in LOVE with!!! I am not going to mix them with any of my other flock and will keep an eye out. I was told by the store that all of their chicks come from Mount Healthy Hatcheries in Ohio.

I got my batch of Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks from a different store last year, but same hatchery and have not had any complaints yet. I'm really excited about these meat birds, though!!!

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got 10 Cornish X from TSC and I have the same problem! They're coughing, sneezing, wheezing. Someone told me that Cornish are just more sensitive to dusty food, dusty bedding, etc. So far mine seem to be doing very well, eating, drinking, sleeping, peeping (but not as much as my other chicks).

4. msulaimain

msulaimain Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Carolina
    So far, mine have done fine. I try to wipe off the dust that builds up on the walls of the plastic container (brooder) since they seem to like to rest their beaks on it, which is from what I think they start sneezing from. So far, however, they are growing fine. The smell is getting too much now though. Mine are now nine days old today. Do you think it will be all right to put them out on a tractor at two weeks old or should I wait a little more?

Thanks.

5. Jerry Adams

Jerry Adams New Egg

Dec 30, 2009
    I have 2 batches of CX chicks going right now, Both batches were bought about 2 weeks apart from my local TSC. The first group was very quiet, I hardly noticed them in the house. The second group is so noisy that I am moving them out to the garage. I have bought all my chicks from TSC for the last few years and have had great luck .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by