got my DE.... is this right??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by khable, Jun 21, 2007.

1. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Hi all,

I just received my Perma Gaurd Food Grade DE....

I was surprised to see that it looks just like flour!

Is that right?? [​IMG]

I was kinda imagining that it would look like mini shells or something more gritty than flour.

ummm.... [​IMG]

Also, I wanted to add it to the girls feed, I think I read that I should add 1 lb to 50 lbs of food. does that sound right?

I am also wanting to spread it around their run for pest protection and odor protection. Is there a good way to do this... a specific amount... or just sprinkle around???

Thanks for any help with this!

[​IMG]

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I've been using it for about 3 months now. I sprinkle it in their sand bathing places, in their coop, and their nesting boxes about once a week. I also sprinkle it on their food and mix it up so the food is coated everyday. Yes, it does look like flour. So far my chickens are heathy as can be - haven't lost a one.

3. khable

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Thank you Heidi,

It looks like it will cake up if I put it on the ground and it gets wet...

Is that the case?? [​IMG]

4. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Heidi - I live in MI. too, did you get yours locally or did you have to order it online?

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Khable - yes, I guess it would cake up, but we haven't had much rain here. By the time it does rain the chickens have used it up in there dust bathing areas.

Schmoo - the owner of the feed mill where I buy my feed and pine shavings ordered it for me. He could only order a 50 lb. bag for me, but he only charged me $22.00. From what I hear that was a terrific price. The feed mill is in Cedar Springs though - about 20 minutes north of Grand Rapids. See if you feed mill would be able to order it for you - if not and you don't live too far away I'd be willing to meet you 1/2 way and bring you a 50lb bag.

6. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    Khable, the best way I've found to apply the DE (and also Sweet PDZ) in my coop is with a pump sprayer for dry garden product. I have one for each product and included a marble and a "sorb-it can" that comes in medicine pill bottles to keep it from caking in the sprayer. We've had soooo much rain that I really think I need more sorb-it and marbles in each of the sprayers! It applies a good thin layer and if more is needed at one particular spot, it can be held vertically and given a gentle shake and a good amount will "poof" out in one spot.

Schmoo, you did get a bargain! It cost me more than that for a 5# bag of DE (shipping included) from an internet source.

7. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Thanks Heidi!! [​IMG] you're awesome

Last week I found an amish couple in my area that has some, but they are so darn busy working I can never catch them at home.
    Actually my sister lives in Cedar, so if you just want to give me the name of the feed place I could call them and pick it up myself. I didn't even know there was a feed store there. [​IMG] I sometimes go to the TSC in Cedar, but ofcourse they had no idea what DE is.

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I am a newbie!

what is DE or sweet PDZ?

what is it for?

and what /when?:|

I have 5 week chicks!

9. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    Yes the 1 lb. of DE to 50 lb. of feed is correct. I was told that is about 2%. I sprinkle it on the floor of their house before I put down clean litter & inside the nest boxes. A couple times a week you can sprinkle it under the roosts to help dry the poo. It will help keep the flies down in the summer months. I use a flour sifter to spread mine. Kinda hard on the old hands but it does a pretty good job.

10. khable

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    I think I have to get one of those Garden Sprayers that Blossom Hen was talking about! I love the marble and sorb-it idea!! [​IMG]

I tryed to just kinda plop it down (well my intent was to sprinkle it) with a cup but it didn't work so well. [​IMG]

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by