Got My Eggs...Now What

Discussion in 'Quail' started by HunterH, Apr 2, 2015.

1. HunterH

HunterH Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    Hey guys, got the first half of my shipment from James Marie Farms today! I got the JM Pharaoh. Of course I've been researching it but wanted to make sure everything was right for the best hatch. Putting them in a circulated air incubator at 99.5-100 degrees, not sure what the humidity should be during incubation and then during expected hatching times though? I've read 40% then 60%. Shooting for 17 days of incubation so the egg turner would be turned off at day 13. I am letting them sit today and will put them in the incubator tomorrow after a wait of 24 hours.

How do I know if any are bad before putting them in the incubator? Obviously cracked ones should get tossed but anything else to look for?
    Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Try to hold your temp around 99.5 during incubation. If the temp gets too much higher than 100 you can have a lot of deformities.

45% to 55% is a good range for humidity during incubation. 65% to 70% at lock down is preferred to keep the chicks from sticking to the insides of the shell.

Yes, let the eggs rest in egg cartons, large end up, for 12 to 24 hours before setting to let all those air bubbles deflate and the air sac to return to the top of the egg.

Now is the time to get the bator all warmed up and ready to do. You don't want to put your eggs in a cold bator. Your temp and humidity should be steadily holding when you set your eggs. When you set your eggs, your temp will drop and sometimes the humidity sky rockets. Don't panic! LOL Just let everything come back down over the next several hours. If something is still off after 6 or 8 hours, you can adjust your settings.

Don't set any really small eggs nor any humungus ones either. Nothing discolored or oddly shaped. Only the most perfect eggs should be set. Of course yes, no cracked or thin shelled eggs either.

Good luck and keep us posted!! :)

3. HunterH

Jan 17, 2015
    Thanks, eggs are going in tomorrow! :)

4. HunterH

Jan 17, 2015
    Do I turn the egg turner off on day 13 or 14?

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Day 14 is fine. On this day, up your humidity to 65% to 70% and don't open the lid until they have all hatched and dried off.

Keep us posted! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by