Got my "Employee Review" Back today....

ChicknThief

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Nor Cal
Mostly normal, but a couple of interesting remarks caught my eye.....

Quote:

That first bolded one really shocked me. I wear nice jeans or slacks every day, paired with tasteful blouses. Nothing I wear is low cut or skin tight, and I almost always have a scarf or sweater or both to go over it! I am completely clueless why someone would write that...
idunno.gif
Kind of sounds like someone has a personal issue against me for something?

And what the heck does "nice but kind of dingy" mean!? Dingy!? Oh my haha.

Wow who gave you this. The "dingy" comment was very innapropriate I think.
I would ask that the be removed. There's a difference between negative comments and just flat out immature, petty comments.

I just reread your review. It is really 38 positive and 2 nut jobs. Let it go, it is not a negative reflection on you. You just work with two mean (or stupid) people. It is almost impossible to get 38 out of 40 people to say positive things, you should be proud. If you looked at this as an average you would have scored 95% which would be an 'A". Plus, the two "bad" comments are not really that bad because no one else supported them. Again, just two nut jobs.

Last edited:
It sounds like you work at a school ("the kids"). Do the teachers get to wear jeans every day? I am wondering if that might be what the reviewer considered inappropriate -- that you're coming to work dressed casually when others aren't. I don't know the atmosphere or rules at your school, though, so I really can't guess. Just something to consider if it's even a possibility.

Is this a review from Kids or other workers?

Most of it sounds like what a child would say... If not kids I would go back and ask them to put down stuff above a 4th grade level.

From an old guy's viewpoint. The person who feels that you dress 'inappropriately' is jealous because you are showing them up. If it were a real problem, her's (just a guess as to gender) would not be the only comment about your attire. The 'dingy' comment comes from someone who is uptight and needs to lighten up. You sound like a professional/competent/friendly person when an overview of these comments is taken. You sure sound like the type of employee I treasured way back when I worked for a living.
old.gif

Was this review written by a supervisor? Because it reads like the supervisor is lacking a LOT of training if so!

Does the job have a written dress code?

If you have not seen one or there is non, I would ask for clarification of what the dress code is and ask that it is equally enforced.

And the dingy remark, I would reply in writing.....(depending on who wrote that comment, manager or peer would change my reply)

OH my... i would be SO ticked if someone said that about me..
Do your fellow co-workers get to give job evaluations on you??
WOw...

I think it's very tacky to have a performance evaluation with direct comments from co-workers that way. While employers should ask co-workers for comments, not all of them should be put in a review. Important concerns should be brought up, but comments like he dress thing should not be in the review. The only thing I could think of why someone said would say that, without seeing how you dress at work, is that they may be old-school and think you dress too casually. Or, they think your jeans are too tight and your blouses too revealing in their eyes. Without seeing you and looking at how others in your workplace dress, I can't really adress the comment.

Quote: x2, only I feel that *no* direct comments have a place in a review. Employee of the month nominations are for direct coworker comments, and even then only filtered through a boss. Things like dress codes especially are not dictated by coworkers. Your boss is the person who needs to address any actual dress code violations with you.

I see two options here.
1. Discuss ideas of how to improve employee reviews with your boss. Comments like, "nice but dingy" are only going to stress employee relations and motivation...not improve performance. Similarly, comments like, "nice lady" are just fluff. They don't actually tell you anything about performance. Make sure you word it in a way that shows them how changes would benefit them/the business.
2. I can not see either comment as being put forth in a truly well meaning manner. If they knew their comments would be included, that makes me shake my head even more. People can be such...people. Were this to happen to me today, I would first laugh about it with my husband, and then forget it. Even boss-driven employee evaluations seem to always be a complete waste of time. The idea is great, but I have yet to see it work well in practice. I've seen bosses abuse them awfully, so opening them up to coworkers makes me shudder. I am so glad my current job doesn't have these. X)

Back
Top Bottom