Got my fake eggs, Lets see if I can trick a hen broody??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ericasl, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Ok I am going to try to see if I can get a hen to go broody. I know some people say no way you can not. Well I am going to try and see if I can. I put 1 doz pretty wooden eggs in one of my nesting boxes, very nice eggs I bought off ebay. I guess we will have to wait and see. I have 25 hens. I bought fake ones because I was scared to leave all my real ones out in the boxes, all I need was to end up with egg eaters.

2. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    We tried that- sand filled plastic Easter eggs. They pushed them out of the brood nest and layed their own eggs in it. But so far no one is willing to sit on the darn eggs. We are trying leaving their eggs in the nest now- 17 of them. Except one day someone ate at least one- there was yolk all over the other eggs. So we are back to square one thinking how to get a broody.[​IMG]

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I wouldnt let too many eggs in the nest, cause then they start to get broken.

You can always try putting a hen in a box or something where it is total dark and leave her in there for 3 or 4 days, leaveing her out once or twice a day to eat, drink, go potty and then put her back in. It has to be total darkness and IT WILL take 3 or 4 days to make her go broody doing it this way. Make sure you have some fake eggs in there also. Good luck..............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by