Got my first chickens today (and a funny story)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by maiday206, Apr 16, 2009.

1. maiday206

maiday206 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Menifee
    I'm so excited! I got my first chickens today. I currently have 2 RIRs and 1 Barred Rock (all 4 months old).

However... I originally got 1 RIR, 1BR and 2 bantams. The guy wasn't sure what breed the banty's were or how old, but they were currently laying which is why I wanted them. They were all black with a pretty prominent comb and lay tan eggs. Any guesses? Anyway...

I get them all home and I still had to put everything in the coop before I put them in so me being the rookie newb to chickens decided to let them free range a bit before putting them in the coop. My backyard is completely fenced in so I thought it would be fine. The RIR and BR were fine, but the banty's ran and jumped on top of my fence!! Me and my friend ran all over the place trying to get them back and finally got 1, but couldn't get the other. I called the guy I bought them from and switched out the banty for another RIR because I would rather have calm birds and he raised the others from chicks so they are pretty friendly. So there is currently a true free ranging chicken running around my neighborhood.

My friend who has chickens told me to go out at night with a flashlight and see if I can find her because she probably didn't go far and they are virtually paralyzed with the dark and sleep? So I went all over the place in my yard and my next door foreclosed house and in the corner of the foreclosed house's yard I found... an egg! This girl must be a pretty good layer with all that stress she layed an egg!

Poor thing, I hope I can get her before she gets eaten by something or dies of thirst or starvation. I left water in my backyard, but I don't know if she'll come that close.

I keep thinking of my neighbors if they happen to see her. "Was that a chicken?!!"

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Yay! I'm glad you got your chickens![​IMG] Hopefully you can find the roamer! It is true that you can find them at night. Look in the trees it might be there! It may come back if it was raised with the others.[​IMG]

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    CONGRATS!!! I agree...the night time is the best time to look for them! When (let's be positive here! [​IMG] ) you find her...CLIP HER WINGS! We have an EE who is small framed (~4.5 lbs and she's a standard!), so she gets some nice lift off too. Well did [​IMG] ...DH clipped her wings.

ETA: I don't mean "CLIP THE WINGS" in a snotty tone...I meant in a way to imply clip them before she flies away again in a very sympathetic manner! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  4. maiday206

Mar 24, 2009
    Menifee
    Yes! I plan on clipping her wings right away if I find her. *when* [​IMG]

I'll probably do it with all of them just to be safe since I don't want to have anything like that happen again. The RIR and BRs are really calm though, but you never know!

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I've never had RIR, but we have BRs and they are SWEET! Plus, they are heavier and can't fly well. Three feet up if they are lucky. Hope you find her! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

6. maiday206

Mar 24, 2009
    Menifee
    *Update*

She is hanging out in my side yard, but she is right against the fence and if you try to get anywhere near her she flies to the top and will go over if you get too close.

I have an old dog house that I'm not using so I cleaned it out and I'm going to set it up on the side with a little food and water and hopefully she'll make that her coop or laying box and go in. If she does, then I can grab her and get her in the coop.

My other 3 are doing great at least!

7. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll probably be able to tempt the skittish one with food... Corn, greens, scratch... Try different things and soon enough she'll be running toward you when you go outside!

8. maiday206

Mar 24, 2009
    Menifee
    *update*

I got her!! She was sleeping on top of the fence so I was able to go out there tonight with a flashlight and grab her. She was pretty ticked off, but she is now safely inside the coop awaiting her wing clipping...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by