got my first chicks- so far so good

mdzw

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
Beach Lake, PA
My new babies- A Buff Orpington, Columbian Wyandotte & little one is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte! Love them!

Made my own brooder last night

That is a very nice looking brooder and lovely chicks
smile.png

Thank you! Learning a lot from this site & youtube! Having trouble keeping their water clean- pine shavings in it every time. Raised it up a little, hoping that helps!:/

I've learned a lot on this site but unfortunately some advise I did not follow. I lost 6 chickens to Bobcats and raccoon in a 3 week period this winter. I gave my big RIR rooster and the one remaining juvenile hen to friend across the street. They had a loss to and went for expense of covered run. They had no rooster and my remaining 2 were going to be kept locked up in the coop until we could manage a covered run into our budget. Things were so good for so long and then BAM! I can hear my Bill crowing happily from across the street and the little hen is now laying according to the neighbors. For that I'm happy. Now I have my new peeps and we are working on security for them. free ranging is out for my new girls. Good luck on your little peeps.

Last edited:
I plan on building them a large secure run off their coop for winter & bad weather. We have a lot of predators here too. We have bobcats, coyotes, fox, weasels & neighborhood dogs & cats. I will let them free range during the day when I am around & I plan on building them a chicken tractor for when I can't be around during the day & it's nice out. I wish i could let them free range all the time, but I don't think they would be safe.

Congrats on your new peeps. I had to start over because I lost my little flock to predators, all but 2. I did supervised free range and it went fine for a long time. Then my Orpington went Broodie and hatched 4 chicks. That presented crowding issues so out of a false sense of security I let them free range during the day. In a 3 week period they were gone. My Roo Bill and a juvenile hen margaret were left. I was not going to let them out of the coop until we could build a covered run. Something that should have happened in the beginning. It's a devastating loss for me as I was attached to my babies. Even so, I gave Bill and Magaret to the neighbors who has a covered set up and no rooster. It was the only humane thing to do. Lockup in the coop would be cruel. Now I have 5 new peeps. Working on a good covered run for them. I can hear my Bill crowing every day so I know he's happy and the neighbor told me Magaret is laying big pretty eggs. All is good for them. I've told you all of this so you won't feel bad about the free range thing. It's hard to loose them knowing I could have prevented it. People have strong feelings about this issue. But 2 miles down the road there's a flock free ranging in the open. Just the property fence to protect them. I noticed just the other day their flock all of a sudden is mostly white chickens. What happened to all the others.........

We have some neighbors a couple of miles down the road that let their chickens free range. They were so pretty. A lot of times they would come out in the road, but never got hit. One day about a month or 2 ago I went by & there were bodies & feathers all over the place. It was awful. It didn't look like they got hit & I think if it had been a natural predator it would have taken the bodies. I think it was a dog, it looked like they were shook to death. I would be devistated if that happened. I want them to have a good life, but also to be safe! Thanks for sharing your experience.

So I've worked out the names- my little one is Lacie Gracie, my Columbian (gray w/ black beak) is Gilda & my Buff is Goldie Hen, she is already eating out of my hand! Totally smitten with them! They are doing great!

P

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom