Got my first deformed egg today ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crazy4Chicks, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    well after reaching UNDER the coop to get Miss Bonnie's tiny little banty egg- DH went in the coop to look for more eggs and in the middle of all the girls was the weirdest egg we have gotten - it is more on the long side and smaller in width kinda like oblong I guess not the normal egg shape the shell is a strange dark brown color and it was still warm so had not been there long but looking at the egg it looks like it has scrathes all over it - most likely from the girls walking around it ( since none use a box ) - my question is - can you still eat eggs that are a bit on the weird side/size ? other than it being longer and mis-shaped it looks normal
    and since all the girls were hanging out in the coop because winds are gusting like 20-30 miles today I have no idea who layed it

Julie

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I've read on here that the weird shaped eggs are fine to eat, it's normal for a new layer to lay odd shaped eggs.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    we've gotten several deformed eggs from our old (now deceased) hens, and they all have been fine. we've eaten all of them and they are the same as the others on the inside. (kinda like "you can't judge a book [egg] by its cover [shell]) [​IMG]

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We had several odd-eggs when our girls first began laying, we ate them and there was no difference in the flavor.

HTH

Dawn

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:i agree. the other day we got a weird egg from one of our new girls. (some can look a bit freaky.)

PS - sorry about the double post up there. i clicked it twice accidentally. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by