Got my first egg on 7/21 and none since...WHY?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jj126, Jul 29, 2011.

1. jj126

jj126 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I have 6 BR hens that were 4 months old on the 15th. One of my girls laid her very first egg on the 21st (YAY!!!) and since then we have found no eggs. I know sometimes it take a few days but it's been over 8 days. They are all free range chickens who roost in our tree at night. They do have a coop but they never use it. We do have some new silkies babies in there right now. My husband built them some nesting boxes about a week ago but they could care less about that. [​IMG] When our hen laid her first eggs it was in the "toy basket" on our back porch that had no toys in it so we have keep it cleared out just in case she tries to lay another one in there.
    They have been on layer feed for almost a month now (with wild bird feed in the mornings as a treat). Is this normal? Do I need to be doing something different? Should I be concerned that none of the others have laid any eggs? HELP! Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    theres a sticky on egg laying and i found that helpful I am new to chickens but i am guessing if they free range that may be why your not finding them.

3. jj126

jj126 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I tried to find the post but since I'm new I'm struggling to find my way around. Does anyone have some more advice or know where to find the link? Thanks. [​IMG]

4. itom37

itom37 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Seems to me that if they don't use the coop or the nest box, you might be in for an egg hunt. How can you be sure they aren't laying somewhere that you aren't looking?

5. NewChic13

NewChic13 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    S. Lake Tahoe
    I'm having a similar problem. One of my girls finally stated to lay about 6 days ago! [​IMG] I've only had two eggs since. One was in the nest box, then about two days later the second one was on the floor of the coop, by the door. And now, 3 days later still no egg?[​IMG]

Is there something wrong, or is it normal for a new layer to start off slow?

Just a side note: The first egg was a double yoker!

6. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Me too.. mine started laying on Tuesday and none since... it's been stormy here and they've not been out of the coop/run since so not many places for them to hide an egg. Maybe they are mad at me?

7. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    The only way to be totally sure they are not laying is to keep them in an enclosed coop/run. If you do this just for a day or two and there are eggs, then you will know you they are laying somewhere other than in their nesting box. Keeping them in their coop for a few days might help them to "discover" the laying boxes, then when you do let them out to free-range, hopefully they should return to the nesting boxes to lay.

Oops, just re-read your post. I was assuming the nesting boxes were in the coop - but, if you have other babies in there, I guess not. You could build a temporary enclosure around where you have the nesting boxes places - and then proceed as above

8. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    Quote:go to chicken behaviors and egglaying its at the very top [​IMG] very informative and loads of great info.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Welcome to BYC! It could be one of two things (or a combination).

If your girls get to go out during the day, they could certainly be laying in their own secret location. Hens are notorious for doing that.

Additionally, girls new to laying do have starting issues. The most common thing they do is skip a day or two, OR (the most likely scenario) is that they lay a couple of shell-less eggs, which get gobbled up by the others within seconds.

Just be patient, usually they work out the kinks within a week and a half. If still no eggs at that point, tell some neighborhood kids that you'll pay them a dollar for every egg they find on your property. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by