1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got my first egg today, and then..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bzbrown, Oct 3, 2011.

1. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

First egg found this morning IN the coop, but not in the nesting box (they don't like sleeping in it, but rather on top lol). This evening when locking up the coop (located in enclosed run) I found a second egg at the door to the run, almost stepped on it, and was still wearing my softball cleats that would have been real fun lol.

So, my hens are age 6 months and age 4 months, brahmas of some sort. What are the odds they both started laying today? I'm leaning towards the older one, but wondering what the pro's think. Is it common for the first egg to come, and then a few hours later another one? They both came to us a month ago, after I'd rehomed my "flock" of 4 roo's 1 hen lol. The person that gave them to us had them on layer feed, so I continued along with treats, and whatever they got from my garden.

Anyway, just curious if the general thought is the older one laid two eggs in a few hours on her first day, or if maybe they both decided to be egg layers now?

The first egg. Cute and small.
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Much more likely that both laid, or one was missed from yesterday. Pretty egg!

3. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Def didn't miss it from yesterday, yesterday was coop cleaning day lol, I loath coop cleaning day but do it every Sunday at the least. How cool if they are both laying! I wish I'd been home to see the one planted out by the run door come about! It was a pretty egg, the second one was just as wonderful.

4. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Quote:Def didn't miss it from yesterday, yesterday was coop cleaning day lol, I loath coop cleaning day but do it every Sunday at the least. How cool if they are both laying! I wish I'd been home to see the one planted out by the run door come about! It was a pretty egg, the second one was just as wonderful.

Hehe Ones I find in the run make me laugh. I can't help picturing a new layer walking around "I feel kinda funny...." and plop, an egg falls out! [​IMG]

Congrats on 2 layers!

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Different breeds probably start laying at different ages. Congrats! [​IMG] It takes them a while to start laying in a proper nest. Took mine a good few months, they still haven't grasped it yet. Right now, the location of the nest is in the middle of a large bush of grass that we never bothered mowing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by