"Got my first egg!"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marie_martin, Sep 26, 2007.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I am so excited. I have a salmon faverolle and a silkie girl that are over 5 mo. so I am positive it was the faverolle. I have others that are a bit younger but hopefully will lay by spring. It was a perfect little egg, nice shell and a bit small but these are bantam faverolles. So not too small considering. I took a picture but have to get it downloaded. She laid it right in the nest too. Not on the ground or out in the yard. She did a great job.

Marie

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Congrats! It's always a great feeling to see that first egg. Just to think - there are many more to come. [​IMG]

3. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    That's so great! All my chickens lay in the boxes except my Faverolles, the eggs are always on the floor [​IMG]
    Jen [​IMG]

4. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks. Well, my other chicks are mostly silkies so the nest is basically on the floor. But she went back in the coop and found it and layed there. I let them out early in the morning into the run. So she had to go back in there and lay it during the day sometime. She could have just layed it out in the run. And I know she sat ther and layed it because the shaving were moved around like she made a hole and the nest is not under the roosts so it would not have been laid from up there. So hopefully she will show the rest how it is done. I have one more faverolle girl that should be laying in a few weeks, she is a few weeks younger. The rest are silkies so it will be a while as they range from 5 mo. down to barely 4 mo. I have one more faverolle that I just hatched and I am hoping it is a boy but I think it is a pullet?? I don't know that I would like the look of a silkie x faverolle cross? So will have to get a faverolle roo at some point. My kids don't understand that there is no chick in there? Don't want to eat it. Too cute. Anyway, I will try to get the picture up tomorrow. I layed it next to an egg I got from a co-worker. She has large chickens that lay brown eggs so it is really tiny compared to them.

Marie

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Congrats on that first egg!!!

6. thechickenfarmer

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi Marie,
    I'd love to see a picture of your faverolles also if you have time. They're so beautiful and with sweet temperments I tend to favor them, I'm always interested in seeing other people's Faverolles. I had the nicest Faverolle rooster that was so sadly killed by a neighbors loose dog. I'll get another someday I'm sure. How old is your chick? The males show their dark feather pretty early on so you should be able to see if you've got a boy or girl. Hope you're getting more eggs soon! Jen [​IMG]

7. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks Jen. I will try to get some updated pics of the faverolles. You are right about being able to tell male from female pretty early on with them. I am pretty sure this new baby is a pullet too. That means I am still going to need a roo? Jaynie has one for me but I would have to either have him shipped or go get him. And I just don't want to spend a fortune if I dont have to. I may try to hatch more eggs in the future but for now, I don't have anything in mind. The two silkies look to be a splash and a dark blue? The splash has a vaulted skull and the blue has great feet. So I hope they grow up to be nice. I love the faverolles too. I have tried 3 times to hatch them though and ended up with one each time. so a total of 3. And this one has the dark brownish color on the ends of the wings, not black. From what I understand, if it were a male, that brown would be black. It is a mottled looking dark brown, not black. So probably a pullet. Maybe in spring I will have eggs for sale. I will try to post pics tonight or tomorrow. Here are a few older pics for now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a little video, not clear, but ok

[​IMG]

8. thechickenfarmer

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Cute video! I'd say she's a girl too, my guy had very black feathers from about 2-3 weeks on. I have no experience hatching eggs but I gave the 2nd grade class at my son's school a dozen Faverolle eggs last spring to hatch for me. Only one hatched, I was hoping for a cockerel to replace my poor boy but I got a pullet instead. She's all white and a real beauty though! [​IMG] Jen

9. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Oh, that chick is the older one in the video and yes she is a pullet. That is just an older picture of her. She is the one I just got my first egg from. Her name is Sally. The younger one in the video should be right behind her. They are only a few weeks apart. I dont have any pics of the new baby up yet. She is a week old today. I have taken a few but have not had a chance to post yet. The girls have a more mottled brown on the ends of the wings so I am guessing this new one is a girl too. Not black looking at all. Darn it! I need a roo.

Thanks.

Marie

10. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    congrats on your egg! I still get a thrill from seeing them in the boxes.

What a sweet chick! I'm not familiar with the breed, but they're very pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by