Got my first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by steveo, Jan 30, 2008.

1. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    I finally got my first egg on Monday the 28th. On Tuesday there were no eggs and today there were two eggs. One of the two was huge! This egg was so big that it would not allow the cover to close in an extra large egg carton. I would show you a picture but I ate it for lunch and it was a double yolker. I have three RIR, three New Hampshire Reds and one Barred Rock. I am not sure who is laying but I am happy to finally get some eggs. My chickens live with six guineas.[​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Its great isn't it? Like Christmas in January!

3. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Congrats!!![​IMG]

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Congrats, that is wonderful, and yummy! [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yaaaay for eggs!

If you hatch any eggs or let a broody sit, you should know they can cross breed with guineas. Not everyone knows, just passing on some info.

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

7. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    It's newbie question time!! [​IMG] Your saying you had a double-yolker got me thinking. Will a fertile double-yolker hatch? And if so, what happens - does the extra yolk just get absorbed or something?

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Go back in the incubation section. SpeckledHen incubated one with a double yolk and it almost made it out at hatch. It did pip. It did have 2 chicks.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  9. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Yay! isn't it exciting! I have one RIR and she's given me TWO whopping double-yolkers so far...

10. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    Wow it is like someone turned on a switch. I got three more eggs today. I guess I will have plenty of eggs from now on. It is just like Christmas in January lol![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by