1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

got my first egg !!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hogdogs87, Feb 5, 2015.

1. hogdogs87

hogdogs87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    Girlfriend told me i was acting like a kid..lol..but i was pretty fired up about it. She layed that sucker while i was in the coop working on some stuff. 6 month old chickens. How long will the eggs stay good?

2. hogdogs87

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    Trying to post a picture[​IMG]

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi and congratulations. Is that a white egg from a barred rock or is the light just making it look white?

I'm sure we all understand the thrill of that first egg here at BYC. Actually, the thrill doesn't stop there.... I got 10 today and I was pretty excited about that, especially as one was a little olive one and one was a little white one, both from pullets my broody hens reared last summer.

As regards how long eggs will keep, I have eaten eggs 6 weeks old kept on the counter top and they have been fine, although not as good as a really fresh one, where the white will be thick and hold it's shape when you crack it and the yolk stand up on the top. Any reason you are wanting to keep it?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  4. hogdogs87

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    Im not keeping it. As a matter of fact it will be a fried egg sandwich within the hour..haha...but i was just curious as to the shelf life of an egg. That way i can give family and friends some eggs in the future.

5. hogdogs87

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    Oh and sorry. Yes it is a very very light brown egg...almost white. But in the picture it does look very white.

6. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hope you enjoy it and get lots more from her and her flock mates, so you have plenty for family and friends. Beware of chicken math though! I started out with 3 chickens a year ago and now have so many(40+), I am running out of family and friends to give all the eggs to! I'm rapidly making more friends though especially when they hear there are fresh free range eggs on the go!

7. hogdogs87

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    I just finished there nesting boxes. I used 5 gallon buckets and hay. The boxes are about 4 1/2 to 5 feet off the ground on a "roost" type set up. Can they fly that high up? I built them a ladder just in case

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by