Got my first eggs today!!!

psychoroo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Wicomico Church, VA
Didn't know they were ready to lay. Only 16 weeks old. Walked out to the run today and there was an egg laying on the ground. Figured I would get the nest boxes set up and found another egg in the coop. I feel likea new father, so excited.

How do we get the hens to use nest boxes????? mine keep tearing them apart .I had first egg yesterday
wink.png

i put shredded paper a rock to keep paper in haha joke on me and a fake egg!!! the place is a mess out there they love shredded paper tossing it around idk
droolin.gif
they are funny

they havnt torn that up yet mine love kicking the darn shavins around thats when i had them outside on a little deck thing for them? ill try that maybe

Congratulations...Our 18 week old ISA Browns just started laying last Thursday. Happened the same way as yours...we walked out and there laid an egg on the ground. Next egg was on the ground as well...they finally caught onto the gold balls in the nest an now have been laying in there. Can't wait for our Australorps, EE and Barred Rock to lay. First to eggs were smalls, next was an extra large double yoker and the two today were mediums. I am still 'eggcited' with each one that I find!!

We have 3 Orpingtons, we have been getting an egg a day for about a week, today we found the smallest one in the nesting box doing her duty, I am pretty sure the other 2 haven't laid an egg yet. I got them from a farmer in June who said they would be laying by July, why aren't the big ones laying yet? Do I need to just wait or did I get 2 barren ladies?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom