Got my first Goose Egg today!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by EmAbTo48, Jan 27, 2013.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I believe it was our Seb that laid it. I am a little shocked to have found it since we are in Northern WI and for the last week the highs have been in the negatives litterally Thursday was -14 here with a wind chill that felt like -31. Today its actually nicer out 25 degrees.

Now what do I do with it?

Would you crack it to see if they are breeding and its been fertilized or let them deal with it?

Put it in the incubator?

My plan was to leave the first egg and take the other ones after to incubate and then allowing some to be hatched by the goose however, I didn't think it would happen this fast.

Also is it normal for the male to guard the nest while the female leaves she made a nice nest, but she wasn't around just the gander who was very upset with me when I was looking to see if she had laid one!

Thanks!

2. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Congratulations!! [​IMG] As far as what to do with it, I like your plan!

Quote: Although, you may want to keep taking them until you get warmer weather - but that's up to you.

Not sure about the gander behavior personally (mine hasnt done it, but he's pretty new at the whole business), but it sounds like something they would do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by