Got My First Marans Egg Today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doublejfarm, Sep 5, 2011.

1. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    I added a pair of young BCM pullets to my flock memorial day weekend and at long last I got my first Marans egg today!!! It has got to be the most beautiful egg I have ever seen. Dark dark brown with speckles all over. Can't wait till tomorrow. What kind of laying rate can I expect? Also, I was told that these first eggs would likely be double yolked, is there any truth to that? These are the first birds I have ever had from adolescence. All others were adults when I got them.

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    No experience with marans, but yes some of my young hens have layed double yolkers at first.
    Congrats on that first eggs, I hope it is a double for you!

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Congrats!

4. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    [​IMG]
    Can't wait for my little marans girl to lay one, but it will be quite a while

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I think you can expect a high twohundred per year egg count. like 260-290.

add congrats on the egg

6. Frybaby

Frybaby Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    New Mexico
    Congrats....... I can hardly wait for mine:ya I still have 3 months left to wait:( How old was your girl when she gave you that Beautiful egg? do you have a roo to go with your hens? I have one, the roo is a A giant... I didnt know they would get that tall.... What i've read is that we should get 3 a week [​IMG]. Not the number I was looking for, but oh well I'm happy just to have them. Let me know how many you start getting. Congrats again:thumbsup

7. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Quote:My. Roo is a Buff Orp. And I also have a mixed roo (RIR and BO I think). If your roo is a BCM I know he must be beautiful. In my opinion BCM roos and dark leghorn roos are among the prettiest out there

8. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    One of ours dropepd her 1st today as well. The wife said she spent most of the day raising a ruckus yesterday so it was expected!

9. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Doublejfarm.

To repeat Frybabies question. How old was your girl when she stated to lay. My girls are 23 weeks today and still nothing. My cockoo marans started at 22 weeks so I was hoping for an egg by now. Congratulations, by the way. I hope my girl's eggs are as dark as yours, but right now I just want an egg:pop.

10. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    My cuckoo marans started a week ago and has laid for 7 days straight. She was 24 weeks when she started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by