got my first pipping on day 22 now day 24 moving but not hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MrViskers, Oct 8, 2011.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    the first chick pipped on day 22 i suspect all the other little ones died in the shell [​IMG] but this once chick has just been wobbling for 2 days with just the one small hole in its shell everytime i tap the lid to the incubator it responds by wobbling.. I believe i should take action and break the shell to the free the egg. does anyone think this is a good idea?
    [​IMG]

2. scooby8863

scooby8863 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2011
    Usually after this long I would help it out of it's shell. Some people say that you shouldnt ever help because they might be deformed or something, but usually I help them out anyway.

I just use some tweezers and slowly chip away JUST THE SHELL around the egg as if to mimic the zipping....You will notice there's two membranes I slowly peel the harder OUTER MEMBRANE OFF BEING VERY CAREFUL NOT TO TEAR THE OTHER ONE,
    THIS MAY CAUSE BLEEDING BUT IF ITS BEEN 2 DAYS MOST VEINS SHOULD BE DRY BY NOW.....KEEP A WET Q-TIP ON HAND TO MOISTEN THE MEMBRANES.
    if it starts to bleed put it back in the incubator and try in about 10-15 minutes.

If you have any other ?'s feel free to shoot away! [​IMG]

3. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I had to do that on my last hatch because I had the humidity to high while I incubated them. They were stuck. Three died before I realized this.

4. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    yes it kind of strange one minute they are shaking like there's no tomorrow ... 6 minutes later they die, this is my first hatch hopefully next month I will try with success
    like they say you may never know, If you never try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by