Got my first praying mantis! Orchid Mantis!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kanchii, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I went to the fantastic East Bay Vivarium yesterday to look around. I was told they wouldn't even have any mantids until Spring. Well I was looking in the Tarantula rack and what do I see half hidden behind the T's? Could that be a teensy tiny little orchid mantis? the most beautiful mantid of all, and my personal favorite? I have the guy get it out for me and sure enough, it's a beautiful baby Orchid! I had to have it. Still unsure as to sex, it's hard to cound the segments when they're this small. This guys about the size of a pencil eraser!! Just imagine that! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I'm picking up a budwing and giant asian mantis on the 17th! YAY!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    That is just way toooo cute!!!! [​IMG]

Dawn

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

That is adorable!!!! How do you take care of them..like feeding them and keeping them?

4. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Beautiful! You really lucked out. [​IMG] I love the insects and arachnids, they're so interesting.

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    GAH! [​IMG]

You suck, Madison! I've wanted and Orchid Mantis forever. Its awesome.

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Wow, thats awesome!

7. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    We have those things crawling all over our windows in the summer. Want me to ship you a few hundred LOL.

8. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Oh oh! I want one!!! I have orchids ... I NEED those!!! Beautiful.

9. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    That is one awesome insect. Praying mantis' have always been my favrites species of insect... yes, I have a favorite [​IMG] I had one as a pet one summer and she would watch tv with me...sit right on the arm rest of the sofa and watch the tube!! They die at first frost but mine lived a while afterwards. I would scavenge for bugs for her and hand feed her. ...crickets from the barn were her faves right after mealy worms [​IMG] She laid her eggs in the cage and I relocated them to the rose of sharons outside. I believe her relatives are still habitants of my dad's farm

Here's a pic of a baby I took last spring. It's not as cool as the orchid but pretty neat.
    [​IMG]

10. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    A face ...only a mother could love...or certain humans....what would you feed this Mantis and where would this species come from....? Hm? interesting....kids are not seeing this thread....cause they'd want one....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by