Got my FIRST pullet egg from a Light Brahma

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SundownWaterfowl, Aug 31, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I got my first egg today from one of my Light Brahma pullets. They are only 21 weeks old. I was reading that Brahmas dont start laying until they are around 30 weeks. YAY! Im so excited! Ill try to post pictures later. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congrats! I know what you mean. My Lt Brahma laid at 19 weeks old, but my Buff Brahma started at 30 weeks.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Hooray!!!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Congrats!!.. That is early for a Light Brahma, mine always take their time and usually 6 months old before they lay me an egg!!....

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

[​IMG]

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on your first egg. My whole flock is light brahmas and the 20 week window is usually right on for my flock...way to go, and learn from experience cause what you read is never as important or correct as hands on learning! Gotta Love those pretty hens!

bigzio

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats! I believe our brahmas are about the same age. Mine will be 21 weeks old on Wednesday. Got my first egg 2 weeks ago and it was from one of my light girls as well.
    Curious to see when the darks and buffs will start laying.

8. jenniescholl

jenniescholl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    California
    Yay!!!! My Light Brahma started laying TODAY and she is 21-22 weeks! Congrats! A side note for those of you that have been raising light brahmas for awhile, in your experience can their eggs be brownish-pink? I swear they're not the same color as my New Hamps' eggs.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I haven't been raising them for awhile, but I remembered reading somewhere that the first brahma eggs could be pinkish. Several of mine have had a pink tint to them.

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    congrats, it's always a nice surprise when they start laying early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by