Got my first quail!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SkyWarrior, Dec 4, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I just bought my first pair of blue scale quail! They're so pretty, if flighty. I got them home after dark, so I made a nice hay floor for them in a crate, put food and water in, and decided to let them settle in tonight. Photos tomorrow! [​IMG]

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Cant wait for pics, congrats

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Congrats on the new birds!! Blue Scale run wild in these parts and they are such pretty birds. The wild Blue Scale and the Montezuma are sometimes attracted to the sounds of my Bobwhites and occasionally I will get some come into the yard. Great birds.

Enjoy your new birds!! [​IMG]

4. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Blue Scale are a very pretty bird, congrats on your first pair! just out of curiosity, what did you end up giving for them?

5. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:$20/pair. It was worth it to not have a shipping charge.

6. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Photos -- albeit not the best photos in the world. They're still pretty skittish and I need to get a bigger place for them, but this will do for the time being.

The fellow who sold them to me is big into ornamental pheasants. He's got some beautiful birds. He picked both up and showed me that I got a male and a female, showing the head and penciling on the female.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're really like wild birds-- I know he didn't handle them much and I can see they'd just rather do their quail thing than have me look at them.

7. bfrancis

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    That's a really good price IMO...and better since you didn't have to pay shipping [​IMG]

There will be others that say you paid to much...but I think you did well! around here where they aren't so plentiful....you would have paid more, especially for an adult mated pair.

Keep us updated on your progress. This spring during "egg season" is you want to "trade eggs" for new genetics..let me know, I'd be interested.

8. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    WOW they are beautiful, congrats.

9. bfrancis

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    You posted pics when I was posting the last....

You have an awesome looking pair. There are some folks on here that talk about taming theirs down...mine have "calmed" down...as long as I stay on my side of the wire...they go on alert but still do quail things as I watch...but when I go in the pen they are still pretty skittish...good luck with yours

10. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Sure, I'd love to. I knew this would be the case when I got them because I'd need more genetics than what I've got for a flock. Still, they're a start. They've survived last night okay, where it got about 8F. So, I think I'm going to cut some branches from some pines and give them a bit more habitat. Can't hurt!

I knew a lot of folks might think I paid too much, but it's not much of a deal when you pay $40+ more dollars to ship. Right now, these birds are acclimated to Montana weather, which makes them ideal. The fellow had them on dirt in a nice pen (coop?) with a roof that he built that had slots for all his birds that was open to the weather. No real brush for the birds, but I did like his coop.

Keep in touch. Let me know when yours start laying and we'll do an egg swap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by