1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got my first Welsummer egg yesterday! *pic*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fshinggrl, Oct 28, 2011.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I worked very hard this Spring to get some dark eggs. I bought eggs (hatched 3 - 2 roosters and a runt who later died), then a month later a local store got some Welsummer chicks so I did two brooders. Yesterday I was rewarded. They are hatchery Welsummers so I was worried about the color of the eggs. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. I got this 'torpedo' today. The 'mom,' sang her egg song VERY loudly before AND after laying it. So, now I have 1 olive green layer, 1 blue layer, 1 pale cream layer and should be 3 dark brown layers along with my light brown layers.
    [​IMG]

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Ahhh - LOVE the dark brown eggs. I got a "welsummer" this past summer. Turned out to be an EE. So I bought a female Welsummer chicks that only 9 weeks old now. Then in September I hatched out 5 welsummer eggs. I'm hoping that out of the five, I'll have at least 3 girls. Hopefully by spring I'll have those pretty dark eggs, too. Congratulations! That's a gorgeous egg!

3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice! [​IMG]. [​IMG]. [​IMG]. [​IMG]

4. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    Awesome! I used to have Marans, loved those dark brown eggs!

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

I love the little dark specks all over the egg! We have a Black Sex-Link hen that lays a medium brown egg with dark specks all over. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That's a really nice first egg. It will probably get a little darker as her ink jets warm up. Congrats!

7. banks

banks Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on the nice dark egg!
    What age is your Welsummer?
    I have one that hatched July 6th and I am trying to guess when she may start laying.

8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:She hatched probably about mid May.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by