Got my First "Woodie" Incubator. Deal or No?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spoggy, Aug 15, 2010.

1. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    I just bought my first "old" wooden incubator! It's a Montgomery Ward, and the images for it are here . I gave $82.89 including shipping off eBay. Here's the ad:

• ITEM: Vintage wood Montgomery Ward Egg Incubator Model 26 GC
    • DESCRIPTION: We have a vintage wooden (20” x 19” x 17½” tall) single-drawer egg incubator from MONTGOMERY WARDS… Model No 26 LZ-850… per the brass tag on the face of the
    device. Some Features include:

A 1½”dia RED power ON indicator lamp built into the top…. that (still) lights when plugged in!
    Has a screw lever thing for adjusting the temperature.
    Has a tin “Peep-Hole” device built into lid
    A 16” x 1½”dp egg shelf with wire bottom and reinforced (or partitioned) with perpendicular dowels.. On the side, in red crayon, is written “Turn Every Day” and each side being numbered.
    Slatted wood top with an embossed No. “2211” and brass corners!
    Features a heating mechanism built into interior roof and caged of by wire… I think it works but due to a fray in the cord I did not want to leave plugged in too long… this is not just a Bulb in a
    box!
    A 4” embossed brass manufacturer’s plate on face above door.
    A 6” x 18” hinged door with suspect latch… looks replaced with a window latch.
    The box is about 9” tall but is equipped with simple wood legs, (that will be unscrewed for shipping)
    Stained wood finish with the wear & tear one might expect for its age!
    Over 4” headroom on shelf for larger egg varieties… was told by original owner that it was used for pheasant eggs mostly.

• CONDITION: Good Condition! Solid & appears to be functional… if not things where pretty basic back then. Has some scuffs & scratches but nothing excessive. The cord at the box
    interface is frayed & need attention.

What does everyone think? Good deal or not?

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I Bid Against you! I wanted that LOL! Congratulations :)

3. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    BTW Thats A Great Deal

4. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    Quote:O Geez! I'm sorry [​IMG] Thanks for the gratz though [​IMG] If I see another one, I'll PM you.

5. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:O Geez! I'm sorry [​IMG] Thanks for the gratz though [​IMG] If I see another one, I'll PM you.

Don't Be Sorry LOL :) I think it will be pretty easy to get running, probably will need a new wafer and thats it! [​IMG]

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    [​IMG] BID WAR BETWEEN BYC'ERS [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by